You’re moving the goalposts. Tebas isn’t whining out of
by tex29 (2022-06-16 19:25:27)
Edited on 2022-06-16 21:23:16

In reply to: Improper motive doesn’t make him wrong.  posted by NDMike2001

concern about the moral dilemma posed by sportswashing. And FFP certainly wasn’t aimed at combatting sportswashing. If it were, there are again much more direct and effective ways to prevent that sort of thing without completely limiting the upward mobility of clubs outside the traditional powers. FFP is undeniably an attempt by the cartel of clubs controlling European football to prevent anyone from cutting into their share of the market—regardless of the source of the money driving that competition.

And the idea that Tebas, on behalf of Real Madrid, or Liverpool’s owners for that matter, is railing against those who don’t have an interest in promoting the sustainability of domestic leagues is laughable. These are the same clowns who orchestrated the European Super League, which would have absolutely decimated the domestic leagues.

If you want to impose moral purity as a qualification for ownership, I suppose that’s at least coherent and supportable in some manner. But be sure your favorite clubs’ owners would pass the test. And I suppose we should throw in sponsors as well. If we don’t want to take money from bad guys, that’s a pretty slippery slope.

In any event, you were voicing concerns about parity. And I pointed out that FFP has nothing to do with promoting parity. In fact, it’s the exact opposite. It is designed to limit parity by allowing the same few elite clubs to have a perpetual competitive advantage over their peers.

Replies: