I’m a bit torn.
by NDMike2001 (2022-06-17 11:14:47)

In reply to: A good deal...  posted by iudomer

On the one hand 35M is ridiculously low for a ballon dor candidate. On the other hand there weren’t too many options. There aren’t a lot of other clubs that were going to pay his wage demands. Liverpool weren’t doing it and he wasn’t going to an EPL rival.

Meanwhile it’s also tough to see him as a future ballon dor candidate anywhere other than Bayern. He has such a unique skill set. He is incredibly physical and fast. He wants to attack from the left wing. And put in a ton of work. He’s found it difficult the last couple years (Senegal too) as teams rotate fouling him and sitting back against his dribbles. He was an odd fit for Liverpool’s false 9 because his touch is not elite. Which didn’t help when teams defend in a low block. Liverpool adjusted by going more outside (Salah, Diaz and Jota) in to Mane instead of working through Firmino in the middle.

I don’t know how Bayern play. But Mane doesn’t have the touch of a false 9. He does have the work rate though. If he plays where he can work off the ball and find spaces in and around the box he’ll score bags of goals. Which is exactly what he wants. He wants to be a legend. And use that status to help his country.

I think he’ll do it. Again I’m torn. 35M is cheap for someone who could go on to do things at the very highest level. I just didn’t see him doing it anywhere else. I had always though Madrid. But apparently Benzema found the fountain of youth!

Replies: