CL Day 2...
by iudomer (2022-09-13 16:20:03)

Spursy.

Lewandowski should have had two in the first half, nice 2nd half for Bayern.

I thought Barca looked very strong in the first half
by KnightlyRevue  (2022-09-13 22:31:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought Pedri was excellent throughout but he could not finish today and he had multiple good chances. Silky smooth though. Lewandowski was a bit unlucky.

Sane’s goal was nice but his run into space was elite. He blew the top off of Barca’s defense and ran right past them. I hope Sane can be consistent this year and that he has a strong World Cup. The talent has never been a question.

So did Ray Hudson… (link)
by wiNDycityfan  (2022-09-14 12:08:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had to mute him a few times yesterday
by wcnitz  (2022-09-14 12:12:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I love Ray, but I really wish he'd tone it down just a bit, though.

I did laugh out loud at "keeping the ball like a teenager holding onto a cellphone."

Haha...I enjoy Ray
by KnightlyRevue  (2022-09-14 13:54:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but being off air for practically a year when La Liga went to ESPN, and he was left with Ligue1 games, probably made him a bit loco. I would say he is a Barca homer but he really isn't...the man just loves the beautiful goal.

I particularly enjoy Ray's reactions when Phil makes a comment about metrics or tries to apply statistics towards player evaluations.

Always thought he was a homer, too
by wcnitz  (2022-09-14 14:33:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But yes, you then realize he just wants to see pretty things.

His exclamations yesterday were very balanced between Bayern and Barcelona. Yeah, he's a Messi fanboy, but it's understandable.

Pundits all think RL9 is elite in big games...
by iudomer  (2022-09-14 08:40:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he's really not. All the Bayern CL exits he didn't produce as he didn't yesterday. He should have had a first half hat trick.

Barca's D is still suspect.

As soon as Bayern widened their play
by wcnitz  (2022-09-14 09:51:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They had acre-sized gaps between the CBs to deal with. As 'off' as Thomas was yesterday, his little cross move pulled a CB out of position, created another big gap that Kounde didn't fill. Left a lane for Sane to run right through.

On the whole, I've been impressed with Nagelsmann's adjustments. Barcelona pressed well in the first half - but they can't do that for 90 - and as soon as they had to let up and Bayern started using all the width, it was done.

Hmmmm…
by iudomer  (2022-09-14 17:06:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looked like the narrowed their play as Sane went inside.

They tried but Kounde responded
by KnightlyRevue  (2022-09-14 18:12:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a touch late and Araujo did an excellent job of just watching Sane blow right by him. A touch late and not at all is the same thing when you have pace like Sane, Haaland or Mbappe coming at you.

Yep, exactly
by wcnitz  (2022-09-14 18:18:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An acre of space is an acre of space even if you fill it a second later, because a quick player is going to use it. That play starts because Bayern is very wide, the CBs are spread and they don't adjust quickly enough.

16:2 in the last four matches against Barcelona
by wcnitz  (2022-09-13 17:22:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would be nice if Bayern increased their BL focus to match their CL focus. Just a bit.

Imitating the Klopp way...draw after draw after draw. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2022-09-13 23:17:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post