Tie-breaker rules
by KeoughCharles05 (2022-11-29 13:43:03)

I think it's silly that a head-to-head result is not used earlier in the tie-breaker process.

I'm actually on board, somewhat, with using total goal differential at the first tie-breaker. I think head-to-head would be better, but total goal differential at least makes sense to measure overall quality.

But the next step in the tie-breaker process goes to total goals scored, skipping head to head. Thus, if Wales were to beat England by three goals today, Wales and England would both have total points of 4, and a goal differential of +1. And yet, even though Wales would have definitively beaten England head to head, England would remain ahead of Wales on the basis that they scored more goals than Wales.

Can someone talk me out of taking the position that this is just inexplicably stupid?

They are trying to encourage attacking soccer *
by ndhouston  (2022-11-29 14:21:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it still encourages you to win *
by wcnitz  (2022-11-29 16:08:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't see how putting h2h above total goals would impact
by KeoughCharles05  (2022-11-29 15:07:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That, at least not in any serious fashion.

Weird I thought H2H was first for 2 team tie breaks *
by DakotaDomer  (2022-11-29 13:54:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UEFA switched to h2h and I prefer it
by wcnitz  (2022-11-29 13:47:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the group stage, points between the teams in their 2 matchups are the first tiebreaker. I actually prefer this, because all it takes is one minnow for a team to rack up a huge GD. See: Bayern, like....every year. Best GD in the group stage again this season, I believe.