Berhalter got it ALL right
by wcnitz (2022-11-29 16:05:47)
Edited on 2022-11-29 16:29:21

For all the criticism he's taken, the last two matches he has absolutely nailed it.

The subs, going to 5ATB, putting on Zimmerman for headers, all of it. The players could have done more to get the second, but from a game management and tactical perspective, we had it right where we needed.

NOBODY had a poor game today. All of the starters were tremendous. The work rate and effort level were crazy good. Well done.

Lexi just said the subs were bad. He's wrong. Zimmerman was a perfect call. Haji just needed to make better decisions, but his pressing and defending were fine. Shaq wasn't great, but if Dest was done, he was done.

edit: one last point - I'd rather have Shaq on than Yedlin. I love Yedlin, but let's be honest: in a late and close, he's a red card and/or penalty waiting to happen.

I thought we were outstanding for the first 55-60 minutes
by TCFC  (2022-11-29 16:16:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe the best I've ever seen us play. Confident and positive, we were clearly the better team.

The last half hour was a little tougher to watch but you always knew it was going to be that way. They all deserve a ton of credit for hanging on under relentless pressure at the end.

My concern is the last ~30 minutes. Started 2nd half well
by Anotherjoe  (2022-11-30 08:06:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But seemed to stop pushing into the attack. I know Iran was playing desperately forward then but I would have tried to push for another goal.

On the other hand he was successful so I guess I shouldn't complain.

I read that was by design. He knew players were tired
by dulac89  (2022-11-30 15:10:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and that Iran would get aggressive almost reckless, so the entire last 30 minutes (including 10 overtime) was a defensive formation.

He has surpassed my expectations.
by NDBass  (2022-11-29 16:07:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I still don't want him in charge, but I expected an epic failure. Great job by the players to will it into existence.

Agreed, and we didn't give up a goal in the run of play
by wcnitz  (2022-11-29 16:14:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure we've done that in a WC, at least as long as I've been watching them. Defensively, we were very good.

And that penalty wasn't really due to the other team.
by NDBass  (2022-11-29 16:22:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess you have to credit Wales for getting the ball to a player in the box, but it was a horrible tackle attempt on a player that wasn't threatening the goal.

But if that's all you've given up on the scoreboard and have only had a few other truly nervy moments across three World Cup group stage matches, sign me up every day and twice on Sundays.

FTR Zimmerman wasn't tackling Bale on the play.
by Mr Wednesday  (2022-11-30 00:52:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He slid to cut off a pass into the box, not realizing that Bale was in position to cut in front of him as he slid. (You could see this more clearly in the shot from behind the Wales goal, and I believe Zimmerman has also said that he never saw Bale.)

Zimmerman made a huge save yesterday.
by MobileIrish  (2022-11-30 15:21:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The ball went through Turner’s legs in the collision. Zimmerman knocked it away from rolling in the goal.

Nice to see him battle back.

Never foul when their back is to goal
by wcnitz  (2022-11-29 16:28:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Zimmerman made the classic U12 mistake. Totally agree.