Isn’t Reyna a better choice than some of those other subs? *
by DakotaDomer (2022-11-29 16:47:54)

This user did not provide content for this post

Not situationally in this match, no.
by SavageDragon  (2022-11-29 17:02:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I disagree with several of the subs made, but Gio wasn't the answer for any of them:

Aaronson for Pulisic due to the injury -- I like Aaronson's motor and fitness more than Gio's for a halftime sub already up a goal, even if he has sucked on ice in his previous appearances this WC.

McKennie still isn't 90-minutes fit, is hit-or-miss defensively, and was on a yellow card. Acosta is sounder defensively, adds some set piece taking (surprising that Musah called him off on the one good chance), and is less important if he picks up a yellow and is suspended for accumulation.

Moore for Dest is clearly another fitness thing: Dest has yet to go 90. I'd probably prefer Scally in general as the third fullback, but blooding a new young guy in that situation is dicey. I don't care one way or the other on Yedlin versus Moore ... neither covered themselves in glory in their previous appearance. I think at this point it's clear, though, that Moore can't hack it and shouldn't appear again.

Wright for Sargent to keep a true forward in given the injury (just a bit early ... it was probably coming soon anyway to keep fresh legs up top), though personally I wouldn't have minded Jesús Ferreira there instead for a bit more energy/off the ball work.

Zimmerman for Weah to close it out ... Weah's position on the field is the most natural fit for Gio, but but I'd much rather have an extra defender in at that point than a mercurial offense-only player.

We weren’t playing with a nine.
by NDMike2001  (2022-11-29 22:00:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe literally Wright was there for the position. But he offered zero possession, aggression or hold up play. We had an inability to hold the ball and pass to feet. Reyna certainly offers that.

I’d pick Reyna over Wright or Moore
by DakotaDomer  (2022-11-29 17:12:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was pretty easy for Iran to stay forward knowing they only needed 2 backs and a goalie to ensure we could never score because we didn’t have anyone able to do so on the pitch.

Reyna has never played the 9 position. *
by Slainte Joe  (2022-11-29 18:45:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We didn’t need a 9 we needed players
by DakotaDomer  (2022-11-29 20:47:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If we had Mo Salah sitting on the bench would we be arguing over whether or not he could handle going in for a striker? (Yes I’m sure he’s played false 9 before)

If Reyna can handle the ball, penetrate, pass, and shoot better than the other options..why should it matter who was taken off?

Not even false 9, I don't think
by wcnitz  (2022-11-29 18:52:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When he comes in for or plays instead of Reus at Dortmund, he's more of a 10/advanced midfielder.

It was Moore or Scally or Yedlin, not Moore or Gio
by wcnitz  (2022-11-29 17:24:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They were going to 5ATB. Berhalter put the lowest risk guy on.

Agreed. The way the game developed, Gio wasn't ...
by Rocksteady74  (2022-11-29 17:47:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... the man to come in.

Agreed on Reyna for Wright
by catripledomer  (2022-11-29 17:17:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I was completely un-impressed with Wright's work rate considering he was only on the field for fewer than 30 minutes. He should have been causing the Iranian center backs all kinds of grief. Instead, he barely made his presence felt.

Agree on Wright, hence my note of Ferreira *
by SavageDragon  (2022-11-29 17:39:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wright shouldn't see the field again.
by NDBass  (2022-11-29 17:22:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He didn't even put in the minimum amount of effort. Moore was pretty bad, but he at least busted his ass.

Moore and Wright should not see field again
by Sonofadomer  (2022-11-29 17:41:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would have put Aaronson at the 9 and brought Reyna in for Weah