Not situationally in this match, no.
by SavageDragon (2022-11-29 17:02:05)

In reply to: Isn’t Reyna a better choice than some of those other subs? *  posted by DakotaDomer

I disagree with several of the subs made, but Gio wasn't the answer for any of them:

Aaronson for Pulisic due to the injury -- I like Aaronson's motor and fitness more than Gio's for a halftime sub already up a goal, even if he has sucked on ice in his previous appearances this WC.

McKennie still isn't 90-minutes fit, is hit-or-miss defensively, and was on a yellow card. Acosta is sounder defensively, adds some set piece taking (surprising that Musah called him off on the one good chance), and is less important if he picks up a yellow and is suspended for accumulation.

Moore for Dest is clearly another fitness thing: Dest has yet to go 90. I'd probably prefer Scally in general as the third fullback, but blooding a new young guy in that situation is dicey. I don't care one way or the other on Yedlin versus Moore ... neither covered themselves in glory in their previous appearance. I think at this point it's clear, though, that Moore can't hack it and shouldn't appear again.

Wright for Sargent to keep a true forward in given the injury (just a bit early ... it was probably coming soon anyway to keep fresh legs up top), though personally I wouldn't have minded Jesús Ferreira there instead for a bit more energy/off the ball work.

Zimmerman for Weah to close it out ... Weah's position on the field is the most natural fit for Gio, but but I'd much rather have an extra defender in at that point than a mercurial offense-only player.

Replies: