Korbin Albert, Eva Gaetino Named Hermann Cup Semifinalists
by dillon77 (2022-12-01 11:45:24)

Only team with two semi-finalists.

Interestingly, two College Cup finalists -- North Carolina and UCLA -- didn't have one, while Florida State (Jenna Nighswonger) and Alabama (Riley Parker) each had one.

BTW, Michelle Cooper of Duke, the offensive ACC Player of the Year, was also on the list, joining Albert (the ACC Midfielder) and Gaetino (the defensive player of the ACC).

The winner will be named on Jan. 6 at a banquet in St. Louis.

Bama also w/2 semifinalists-Reyna Reyes is on the list of 15
by Domerduck  (2022-12-01 19:10:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I noticed that we had 2 as well and that UNC/UCLA had none. It's a great accomplishment for both women and I do think Albert in particular has a chance to be in the Final 3.

My opinion for what its worth, the ACC has a good chance to get 2 of the final 3 with Albert and Cooper. I see Cooper and Albert as the 2 best players in country as they do more to carry their teams than the others andboth teams made it to the quarterfinals. Scorers often win this award and Cooper and Byers (from Texas) are the only semifinalist nominees with more goals and points than Korbin, but both are forwards. Mids have often won especially if they are also scorers. Defenders and Keepers have only won once from my research (Canadian National Buchanan of WVU in 2016). Also the ACC has been the class of the nation in soccer as the 5 out of 15 semifinalists show. Still the nominee from FSU, Nighswonger may be a longer shot given she didn't even win the ACC POY awards and FSU's Howell won it the last 2 years.

It will be interesting who else might get the nod as no conference had more than 2 nominees. For example Bama's 2 are the only SEC entrants on a team that dominated the SEC awards as only the Goalkeeper of the year was not from Bama. Neither led their team in scoring. There were also 2 from the Ivies & the Big10 with 1 each from the A10, Pac12, Big East,and the Big 12 (Texas Byers).

One other note is that if either Albert or Gaetino win it, it would be the 5th time an ND women has won the award: Cindy Daws 1996, Anna Makinen 2000, and Kerri Hanks 2006 & 2008. UNC as expected has the most at 9 awards with Mia Hamm and Cindy Parlow double winner, but only Cat Reddick (2003) and Chrystal Dunn (2012) have won this century from UNC. ND's 3 more from 2000-2008 made us second (passing Portland's 3 & Santa Clara's 2). Stanford took over 2nd ahead of ND by getting 6 awards from 2009 to 2019 during their rise to power. A Mac Herrmann award would certainly get ND back near the front.

Looking at the women's winners in the attached Wikipedia link, it's a who's who of USWNT players and a few international stars like Captain Christine Sinclair & Buchanan of Canada, Yamaguchi of Japan, Noyola of Mexico, and Rocky Rodriguez, the Costa Rican captain.

Congrats to Korbin and Eva. Good luck on the next selection the final 3.

I'm Guessing Albert, Cooper to Final 3 *
by dillon77  (2022-12-02 11:23:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post