That is what I thought
by dwjm3 (2023-01-14 11:35:42)

In reply to: Clear offsides.  posted by NDMike2001

Officiating in England is really bad.

It’s very convenient for them.
by NDMike2001  (2023-01-15 09:19:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The only consistency is their inconsistency. Essentially it’s like not calling holding in football all game and then calling it when it counts most. They can affect the outcome of the game and then argue the laws of the game.

They don’t call contact, grabbing, pulling and kickouts throughout the pitch and then are happy to point to the spot with the most marginal contact. Or they don’t call a foul and then VAR officials hold their hands up and say it’s not clear and obvious. I still can’t get over Cucurella getting thrown down in the box by his hair and nothing! It’s a farce.

As I noted before I cannot recall a single instance where I’ve seen players run towards a ball from an obvious offsides position (regardless of whether they actually play the ball) where they don’t flag it. In this crucial instance they somehow adjudged that it was clear and obvious that the referee incorrectly decided that Rashford impacted the play. Funny stuff really.

You make a lot of good points
by dwjm3  (2023-01-15 14:01:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In addition, the Premier League tends to operate a bit like a blackbox. I can’t recall them ever coming out and saying a call was wrong. If they feel this call was wrong I think they should admit the error. The NFL came out this week and said some calls were wrong in the Seahawks Rams game last week, I think this is a good way to operate.