USMNT situation
by wcnitz (2023-01-21 19:48:28)

With McBride being let go, and some of the stories circulating about USMNT reaching out to coaches, it sure seems likely that Berhalter is done with USMNT. On the whole, I think you'd have to say his tenure is a success. Beat Mexico 3 times, took 2 trophies off them, qualified and got through group. But I think everyone can agree that we can do better.

If it's true that we've reached out to Zidane and now Jose, that's a sign they're serious about the future. They should be, because 2026 is an amazing opportunity.

Claudio again with the U17s interference….
by iudomer  (2023-01-22 10:41:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like I said before, Gio likely will not have a future with USMNT.

We can't afford to skip him next WC cycle
by spade  (2023-01-23 08:57:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I get it, that the current actions would not endear him to a new coach. But Mexico played with the same issues and did skip great talent for 2 full WC cycles, to the squad's detriment. We cannot afford to do that going into 2026

I think a new coach could head this up from the beginning and discuss there will be no interaction between parents and coaching staff. That's a laughably necessary request here. But Gio doesn't seem to have issues at Dortmund, so it's not a permanent issue. But he will have to tell his dad to shove off.

What are you referring to? *
by wcnitz  (2023-01-22 11:04:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here you go…
by iudomer  (2023-01-22 11:08:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jonathan Tannenwald
@thegoalkeeper
I missed this when
@ByDougMcIntyre
reported it last week and I see Sam has it separately confirmed today:

Claudio Reyna "previously tried to influence then-U.S. under-17 national team head coach Raphael Wicky regarding his treatment of Gio at the 2019 U-17 World Cup

Not surprising at all *
by wcnitz  (2023-01-22 12:22:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not sure I have enough information.
by NDMike2001  (2023-01-22 10:24:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Specifically, I don't know his role in the overall development of the USA pool of players, including the recruitment of players like Musah and Dest. If he is/was responsible for those things then I'd agree that that it was a successful tenure.

However, the results on the field suggest some massive underperformance. The USMNT Facebook page has a promotion going around that shows that USMNT has the players with the most minutes in each of the Europe top flight leagues from CONCACAF. And that doesn't include the likes of Pulisic, Reyna, Aaronson, Adams and (obviously) Sargent.

So needing the final match to qualify from CONCACAF (third) suggests that there was underperformance. The England match was a double edge sword. Berhalter absolutely gets credit for a good match, but it also underscores the poor performances against lesser competition like Wales and Iran.