Looks like Korbin is considering going pro.
by Slainte Joe (2023-01-26 17:24:50)

Drawing interest from European clubs, and she has said that is her ambition.

She is certainly ready.

Korbin's mentions PSG men's side Mbappe, Messi, Neymar
by Domerduck  (2023-01-31 22:09:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

influenced her decision in the official UND article. "Messi is an idol; a big person I look up to. Once I heard about PSG, I was like, ‘Wow! That’s crazy. There’s no way this is happening.’ But I just saw that opportunity and thought I just need to take it before it’s gone"

Interesting take by Nate as the article states:
The merging of globally iconic brands – that of the Irish and of PSG – ushers in what Norman believes could be an unparalleled partnership.
“I think, to view it from a marketing standpoint, I can’t imagine two brands working together that could be more powerful, more influential and just significant than those two,” he said. “Those are two of the most iconic brands in the entire world. I’m trying to think of another athlete that could point to being a part of two programs like that who could say, ‘I’m a part of these two families.’

I wonder if they are going to take this coonection farther. You know there is a famous Notre Dame in Paris. We will see.

It's An Uber Version of WBB Pointing to Guards in WNBA....
by dillon77  (2023-02-01 07:15:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..and international teams, from Skylar and K-Mac to Jackie Young, Arike and now Marina (called up for a USA National team camp for the first time.)

(Or course, the closest equivalent is Jewell Loyd leaving a year early to become the #1 draft choice in the WNBA, but her coach -- Muffet McGraw -- blew a gasket and only now is that situation seemingly chilling out (not getting into the why or why nots here)).

This is really smart positioning by Nate and he's playing it up in the hope that people think of the career ladder that Korbin and her mom laid out: AAU to Notre Dame to ???? The Irish -- and hard work -- will help you get there. Korbin gave kudos to the coaching staff for helping her 'every single practice, every single game." And the reference to it's not just Florida State or North Carolina was glaringly apparent.

Listen, I'd still love to have her for another year (never thought she'd stay all four years), but if we can't --- be right there for/with her.
And she's only 19! Hopefully, she'll learn, thrive and -- before we all know it -- become a long-standing middie for the US National team, like Shannon Box.

Go Korbin! Go Irish!

PSG website's official announcement & Korbin's 1st interview
by Domerduck  (2023-01-31 22:18:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She's signed through 2025. The Emir of Qatar who has been PSG's owner since 2011 through Qatar Sports Investments (QSI) has signed another soccer jewel.

Hey Slainte, have you heard the short podcast series that
by Slotts  (2023-01-31 11:42:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Grant Wahl did about our old DC United shooting star, Freddy Adu? If not, you should listen to it. It is season 1 of American Prodigy.

That would be a loss for ND. We need some NIL help here! *
by Domerduck  (2023-01-26 22:21:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Torn.
by Slainte Joe  (2023-01-27 10:51:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND is a title contender with Albert, so I'd love to see her stay one more season. That said, I don't care who they awarded the Hermann Trophy to, she was the best player in NCAA soccer last fall. She is absolutely ready to be a professional, and it would be tremendous fun to see her with a European super club. Rumors are it's PSG.

Interestingly, this all comes from one tweet from soccer journo Sandra Herrera, and KA kind of indignantly, and so far futilely, asked her to take it down.

Sounds like this might be announced today.
by Slainte Joe  (2023-01-27 12:32:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Big loss for ND, but a fantastic opportunity for Korbin.

Yep she's leaving (link)
by NDoggie78  (2023-01-30 11:09:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

PSG is an impressive landing ground. Just like Lindsey Horan
by Domerduck  (2023-01-30 16:04:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who actually signed out of a Colorado high school directly to PSG back in 2012 and forgoed 4 years of college education. She had several scholarship offers so the Observer saying Macario is the "only one women’s soccer player at any program (who) has forgone eligibility to play for a Champions League-level club in recent memory." may be an overstatement. That misses all the great US soccer club players who went straight to "Champion League-Level" from Club & HS starting with Lindsey who was incredible. Maybe 10 years ago is not so recent per the Observer. Interesting spin by ND PR team.

Truthfully Korbin will be great as a pro, but will be missed a lot by ND. Her personality & skill does reminds me a lot of Lindsey Horan. I'm sure it's a good move for both PSG and Korbin just as it was for Lindsey. Still it's terrible for ND and will drop us back behind the top ACC teams again when we were just competing at that level. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic, but Korbin was our best player by far.

Oh well... Good luck to Korbin. Hope she comes back to the US in a few years and gets a big contract from the NWSL and continues to excel for Team USA.

Michelle Cooper of Duke Won Herrmann Trophy, Went Pro
by dillon77  (2023-01-30 19:39:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..after her sophomore year. Believe she was drafted by NWSL's Kansas City franchise, who put together not just a decent salary but other marketing deals.

Wouldn't be surprised if Korbin and family/advisors took that into account.

Three other things:

- This is really good development for Korbin. Playing for PSG is superb. Alanna Cook who played locally for a club team in NJ, went to Stanford and then onto PSG. She's now back in the NWSL and plays for the National Team.

- Think this will be happening more, not less. Look at the schools we're mentioning: Stanford, Duke, ND. If these players are leaving these types of places, they're getting paid enough to succeed.

- Yes, this will suck for ND in the short-term, but if Nate handled this with the class and dignity I'm sure he did, similar players might want to come to ND form prestigious clubs.

Dang, I was really looking forward to a run with Korbin and Eva at the helm.

Good luck, Korbin...

Hope you are right about ND, but I know Paul Ratcliffe of
by Domerduck  (2023-01-30 20:25:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stanford handled Catarina and Sophia leaving early with class and dignity as I know that 3 time NC coach personally and he does everything that way from his days back at St.Mary's where my daughter went. Still the 3 year falloff for Stanford has been significant though maybe this year was affected more by the GK suicide and less on the recruiting/talent front. Hope Nate can do better with Korbin leaving.

You may be right that leaving early is a more lucrative choice for some of these players. Clearly she as a mid her impact on a team (like Lindsey Horan) can be tremendous and she is still developing. Probably the pro teams can take her development farther and faster than ND, but certainly an opportunity lost for our team. Even one more year would have been nice.

Oh, From an Irish Perspective, I'm Really Disappointed ...
by dillon77  (2023-01-31 07:04:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With Korbin, I thought this team was going to be an uber threat from Day One.Don't see Maddie Mercado, who was listed as a senior in the fall but had another year, on the roster. So that's another opening
So, with Albert and Wingate gone, who steps up? Some thoughts:

- Kristina Lynch, the transfer from FSU who never played, is still on the roster. She, of course, was a key player for FSU while she was there. Can score and distribute, play either middie or forward.

- Move Kiki Van Zanten from her primarily defensive roles up to forward (again) or the attacking middie role that Albert had.

- Remember Aly Akers who started (alongside Albert) as a frosh before blowing out her ACL? She was not up to top speed last year, but if she continues to mend, she could fit into the mix.

- With Brianna Martinez graduated as well, expect Katie Coyle, the aggressive middie from Jersey, to move into the starting 11.

- Maybe a transfer? Nate has used it and might be on the lookout again.

Is there a spring roster?
by Slainte Joe  (2023-01-31 08:23:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t see one on und.com. I would be shocked if Mercado were not back next fall.

I think Ellie Ospeck will take the starter’s role from Bri. Also, I think Sophia Fisher will start now that Korbin’s gone.

Agree on Mercado Coming Back. Massive Opportunity ...
by dillon77  (2023-01-31 10:16:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..for her with Albert & Wingate gone.

You're right: it would help to have an updated "spring semester roster" to see exactly who is coming back (or not). Will a Kati Druzina, also listed as a senior, come back for her Covid year?

If Kristina Lynch does return for a 2nd year of grad school and to use that one year of eligibility, she'd offer a lot of top-flight experience that Nate could mix and match with.

Stay tuned....

Also Macario leaving early was not good for Stanford success
by Domerduck  (2023-01-30 18:55:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 2019 Macario was a junior and she along with sophomore Sophia Smith led Stanford to the 2019 NCAA National Championship. Both then left after that year to become pros and forgo eligibility. Macario as the Observer pointed out went to Lyon while Smith was the #1 pick by the Portland Thorns in the NWSL. Both are National Team quality players like Korbin Albert.

Since they left here's what Stanford has accomplished in the NCAA tourney:
2020 Didn't qualify with a .500 record.
2021 1st round exit in the tourney
2022 2nd round exit in the tourney

Let's hope ND doesn't fall back like this.

I debated posting anything.
by BabaGhanouj  (2023-01-30 21:19:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll just post the obvious, for some gifted athletes a college education does not have as strong of a lure as a professional career. That may be because of society, the person (and their relationship with society), or what currently comprises of a college education. Did I leave anything out?

The women's game is slowly reaching the point...
by Slainte Joe  (2023-01-31 11:56:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

where the men's game has always been: College is detrimental to development compared to the professional setting.

Korbin wants to be a world-class player, and she has the talent to do it. If that's her goal, PSG is a far better environment than any NCAA school.

You are right about this. Not just the devrlopment but being
by Domerduck  (2023-01-31 15:52:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

round players of equivalent skill with variety of experience. I've watched as a Portland Thorns fan how far Olivia Moutrie who became pro at 13 and sued the NWSL so she could play. This is a girl who at 11 accepted a full scholarship offer to play soccer for UNC when she reached college age, becoming the youngest girls' soccer player to publicly accept a college offer at the time. So instead of UNC currently at 17, she's a seasoned pro who has a good chance to start on NWSL defending champ Thorns this cming season. She;s been developed well and mentored by experienced players most noteably Christine Sinclair.

But the real story of success forgoing elibility has to be Sophia Smith, also a Thorn, who with Covid could have played 3 more years at Stanford after that 2019 National Championship. Instead she leaves early, becomes #1 NWSL draft pick, and as a 3 year pro she's a 4 time champion (NWSL Championship-2022, NWSL Challenge Cup-2021, NWSL Community Shield-2020. & Women's International Champions Cup-2021) and in 2022 she achieves NWSL season MVP, NWSL Championship game MVP, and US Soccer Female Player of the Year. No wonder Christine Brennan wrote the linked article: "How Sophia Smith Has Risen to the Top of Women’s Soccer"

Obviously Players like Michelle Cooper and Korbin want to follow Sophia's path. Still what Olivia did may become the new model. Even with Cooper's talent she wasn't picked #1 in the NWSL draft as Alyssa Thompson went straight from high school to become the #1 pick in 2023. She gave up her 4 year scholarship to Stanford she had accepted to instead turn pro. I guess it's the way it will be.

Players Like Smith, Cooper and Albert Don't Come That Often
by dillon77  (2023-01-31 17:10:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The women's game is getting more popular, as recent costs for buying coastal franchises indicate. However, there aren't that many teams that will be able to pull players out that early.

Still, there will be those, many of whom have been cited in this thread, that will go and -- yes -- they'll progress to the next level faster.

There are others -- like Eva Gaetino -- that have already leaped past the evaluations given them coming out of high school and clubs, that benefit from being at college. I'll expect Eva to follow in the footsteps of, say, Katie Naughton who has a solid career playing for Chicago and Houston.

There is no replacing an Albert, who is the proverbial singular talent. However, let's see who -- given the opportunity -- can take a leap forward, much like Olivia Wingate did her last two years. Could, for instance, Kiki Van Zanten be moved back to the forward and develop the sniper's touch?
Or Maddie Mercado get a tad more accuracy on her outside-the-box shots and mimic some of Korbin's blasts? Stay tuned.

There's always the "I can always go back and finish" thought
by NDoggie78  (2023-01-31 09:59:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While true, sometimes real life gets in the way - marriage, job, family, etc.
I think this thinking doesn't take into account the college "experience" the player will miss.

But I wish her well - her play always reminded me of Carly Lloyd, especially when Lloyd was at Rutgers