Well, this is not just about soccer as you all know…
by wiNDycityfan (2023-05-23 18:45:23)
Edited on 2023-05-23 19:26:34

In reply to: To your point there is no excuse for the racist  posted by KnightlyRevue

Before I migrated to the US, I grew up in middle class Panama, in an environment where class and socioeconomic status, and therefore race, guided ruling patterns and the way social theory performed. Bigotry and ignorance was (think still is) just so pervasive it is like a way of life (heck, I still correct family members and warn them when they misspeak; they just don’t know any better). Also, as I said somewhere down a few threads below, my mother’s side is from Bilbao and another good number from Sevilla- and it’s like they’re stuck in the 1940s.

Back on topic, based on the videos, commentary and pronouncements I’ve heard and read from Spaniards (from social media to actual newspapers and reporters), it appears to me they either just don’t see the issue clearly, or society in general, or a large segment of it, still in this day and age, perceives the racial concept in terms of class. Those individuals that have not shared similar socioeconomic circumstances as the majority, are still perceived inferior, and treated as such- and it’s clearly correlated with the monitories. It also appears to me Spain (I’m going to lump Italy here too) has not evolved in this area as other more progressive European cultures, such as Brits or Germans, and you can still make a case these two have not evolved enough when it comes to treatment of minorities. I understand I’m making massive generalizations here, but overall still applies.

Anyway, only way to nip this in soccer is to a)cancel games, then b)play games on empty stadiums, then c)deduct points, then d)relegation, and last e)kick them out all competition, in that order. Not going to happen, but it should.

As for outside of soccer, God helps us.