Some European update on PE and Soccer
by SCOANGERS (2024-04-23 08:23:58)

I was able to use the time in Europe both attending soccer and meeting people both in England and France

1) I feel compared to Davos in january, the mood was a tat more down from US investors specially PE going to European soccer - yes PSG was able to achieved an incredible valuation uptick, yes there is money on some of Fund raised but people are getting tired of the unpredictability of investment.
Even people at OL (both men and women) are focusing on the real estate part of their investment vs the investment per se . They were a sense of fatigue and real uncertainty to deploy capital. Heard 90% of Ligue 1, 60% of EPL are up for sale.

2) Women soccer despite the almost 40K in attendance remains very weak or could be a great potential (someone compared it to WNBA no fan base, no marketing, no coverage , if you read l'Equipe the daily sport news paper you would see it after the Amsud Men championship .Michele Kang who bought 52% of OL Women is looking for land to build a stadium: today they have a field located within the Lyon training center.

3) There is going to be one major investment in France likely from one of the EPL franchise (as since Brexit you need a continental europe for trading )

Lastly I was lucky to attend 2 great games with a lot of suspense in one case OL-PSG women and many goas PSG-OL men