Peter Wilt’s plan to introduce pro/rel to US soccer
by miamioh_irishfan (2017-10-18 12:14:25)

This is long, but we’ll worth the read.

Parse away.

How's his Chicago NASL idea coming along? *
by alleghenyirish  (2017-10-18 14:50:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I haven’t seen anything recent so I presume slowly.
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-10-18 16:18:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Crew’s play for a new stadium might make a good litmus test for the future of the Fire at Toyota Park, however.

Speaking of US Soccer
by wcnitz  (2017-10-18 12:58:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Apparently Laurent Blanc wants the USMNT job. Huh.

Id be a firm and fast NO to that idea. *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-10-18 13:44:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why?
by wcnitz  (2017-10-18 14:03:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just curious.

Wrong fit at the wrong time.
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-10-18 16:13:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m in favor of someone like Tab for the time being, while being open to a bigger name once the 2022 squad has sorted itself out and qualifying is about to begin.

As does Fat Sam. *
by fontoknow  (2017-10-18 13:12:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Big Sam would be incredible. *
by skip encarnacion  (2017-10-18 14:15:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Big Sam would have been incredible last November.
by PaulM  (2017-10-18 21:09:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At this point it's probably too late for his expertise.

Perhaps.
by Skip Encarnacion  (2017-10-18 22:27:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd be curious to hear him out in an interview.

I think his personality and approach to the game would work well here.

I was thinking about pro/rel the other day
by fontoknow  (2017-10-18 12:29:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when I was reading about Columbus's ownership threatening to move the team.

These threats don't really work in open P/R system.

I like Wilt's concept a lot. But it will be blocked very aggressively by USSF.

How does that work....anyone can just start a team?
by Fourputtmd  (2017-10-18 18:53:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And just work ones way up the ladder?

RB Leipzig is the best example
by spade  (2017-10-22 01:43:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Founded by Red Bull GmbH company in 2009 and won promotion to Bundesliga I in 2016. With enough cash, anyone can found a team and work their way up the ladder.

Now they are in the Champions League. Pretty damn impressive run, probably the best such run in football history.

correct
by fontoknow  (2017-10-19 08:49:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there is likely a relatively small entrance fee at the bottom of the pyramid.

Yes. See FC United of Manchester
by plaid_pants  (2017-10-19 02:55:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Manchester United fans that were upset when Malcolm Glazer bought the team in 2005 started their own club - FC United of Manchester.

The new club started playing at Level 10 of the English football pyramid in 2005. 10 years later they were promoted to Level 6 of the pyramid where they currently reside.

If they keep this up they could be in the Championship in another 10-15 years.