My wife is in college coaching. 95% of parents are...
by FL_Irish (2016-11-22 20:59:12)

In reply to: Good Article: The Myth of the Sports Scholarship (link)  posted by ckdexterhaven

...clueless/delusional about how this all works.

Admission to a school much better than one would otherwise get into is probably the bigger prize to be had for most.

Quite true. We always assumed that the money we spent ...
by Rocksteady74  (2016-11-23 13:49:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... on our boys' sports would not gain them a college scholarship. But it did make them attractive to schools. For example, the older boy attended a top six liberal arts college. His grades and board scores put him right about in the middle of the acceptance curve, but the school accepts fewer than one of five applicants. So being on the soccer coach's recruit list was an important factor in getting accepted.

Your guidance proved true nearly ten years ago.
by Odschool  (2016-11-30 09:15:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your explanation of "buckets" for individual teams proved to be helpful to both my sons. Each of my sons met with the coach for college visits. Quite often the D3 tack and swim teams are not as good as the teams at a large suburban HS.

I have passed your advice on to a number od different families with good athletes with better than average grades.

The net result has been admission to better schools with a lower cost than a partial athletic scholarship to a d1 of d2 school.

Baseball, softball, M&W basketball, volleyball, and track and swimming