Curling
by 65domer (2018-02-13 22:19:36)

Has anyone ever played curling? or is it curled? Has anyone seen a curling rink or lane or whatever it is called? Does anyone know why it is an olympic sport?

Might as well make darts an Olympic sport *
by Inigomontoya  (2018-02-27 07:02:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's quite a lot more athleticism to curling.
by Mr Wednesday  (2018-02-27 18:06:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I assume you've never actually tried it.

Minnesota has a lot of curling clubs. *
by Tex Francisco  (2018-02-21 11:05:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Number of sheets = school parking lots in February *
by DakotaDomer  (2018-02-21 23:10:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is a sport of skill on ice
by fontoknow  (2018-02-17 10:14:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Olympics actually want more winter sports. But they need to incorporate the elements of ice or snow.

Frankly a better, less manufactured event than say team ice skating...

I've curled for ~ten years.
by Mr Wednesday  (2018-02-15 18:58:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I started in '02-'03 in Houston, took a six year break while I was at ND (at the time, the nearest clubs were in Chicago), took it back up when I moved back to Houston, and I'm now a member at Broomstones outside Boston.

As to why it's an Olympic sport... why not? It requires both skill and athleticism. The skills of the top-level curlers are insane... they can stick a draw on the button seemingly at will, and they can throw up-weight takeout shots that are within a quarter inch of their target from over 100 ft away. As for athleticism, sweeping is hard work, and the more strength and endurance you have, the better you are at it. (There are also benefits to throwing the rock from good strength and endurance.)

The correct term for a single curling playing surface is "sheet".

The ones at Notre Dame are beautiful
by DakotaDomer  (2018-02-14 04:56:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I think they open their availability to the public frequently.

Curling is a lot of fun and a great Olympic discipline

G16 had a team in the ND league last semester
by ND8486  (2018-02-19 16:01:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They were all pure novices. They finished 9th out of 10 but had a great time. Almost all the rest of the team's were helpful and encouraging and they learned a lot and developed their skills. They are hoping to enter the spring league and get better.

I believe there was one curler in the league under 25 besides The four girls on her team.

We enjoyed watching and getting more familiar with the sport.

I guess I am misinformed
by 65domer  (2018-02-14 20:03:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I searched for a photo of a curling lane at ND and found only the existence of a curling league. I guess I owe an apology to curling fans. Sorry for my misinformed rant.

On Compton’s “lanes”
by DakotaDomer  (2018-02-15 07:57:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is a good story