Winter Olympics need a pentathlon type event.
by Irish Tool (2018-02-21 14:39:28)

Big Air snowboarding has shown us they're hurting for events. Why isn't there a multisport event? It would be pretty straightforward:

1. An alpine event, probably slalom.
2. Speed skating, probably just a short/mid distance one because you'd also have...
3. Cross Country Skiing.
4. A sliding event, probably luge (although this leads me to realize a two-person team pentathlon could be sweet - bobsled, relay speed skate, combined skiing, cross country relay).
5. One more - could we host this whole thing without a "judged" event? Maybe the snowboard-cross or whatever it's called when everyone races at once? Generally I think the judged sports and ski jumping are too specialized. Hockey shootout? (Again, the two-person idea can bring in curling. I really like that 2-person pentathlon, honestly).

I'd take GS over slalom.
by Mr Wednesday  (2018-02-22 20:07:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It looks a little more accessible.

For comparison, the decathlon is:
100 metres
Long jump
Shot put
High jump
400 metres
110 metres hurdles
Discus throw
Pole vault
Javelin throw
1500 metres

Several of those are pretty specialized. I don't think ski jumping would be out of place.

Hijack: How in the hell is the ski jump a judged event?
by NDBass  (2018-02-21 21:50:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just realized that it has a judging component this year. How in the hell is it not just who can jump the farthest?

Agreed.
by Porpoiseboy  (2018-02-21 18:34:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What's the spirit of the summer? Best all-around athlete. So I would go with:

1) Slalom
2) Cross country - 15 km
3) Speed skating - 1,500 m
4) Skeleton
5) A snowboard downhill event - timed only, no judges.

And yes it should be called the Wintathlon.

needs a beer chugging event
by cujaysfan  (2018-02-22 01:23:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

i can't decide if that's advantage to the Germans or Canadians, though

Curling has that covered *
by DakotaDomer  (2018-02-25 21:57:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

+ snowball throwing events for distance and accuracy *
by SixShutouts66  (2018-02-23 12:26:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The definitive list
by DakotaDomer  (2018-02-21 23:09:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pentathalon is for wimps
Decathalon baby

Long track speed skating
Giant slalom
Figure skating
Slalom snowboard
Half pipe snowboard
Ski jump
Moguls
Cross country skiing
Luge
Skeleton

What do you think of my 2-person pentathlon? As
by Irish Tool  (2018-02-21 21:25:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the day has worn on, I've fallen in love with it. Plenty of ways to tweak the details, but I like having bobsled and curling in.

Curling would be a time sink, but if it's the last event, what high drama!

Definite merit.
by Porpoiseboy  (2018-02-21 22:56:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd like to see two sliding events - bobsled and luge. I'd be fine with Wintathlon and Team Wintathlon. With all the bullshit events that currently exist adding a couple that would rule wouldn't bother me one bit.

Here is an idea
by Cul Baire  (2018-02-21 15:25:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1) Alpine ski
2) Cross country ski
3) Shooting
4) Snowshoe (this could get its own set of events)
5) Fat Bike (this could get its own set of events as well)

An outdoor, point to point, speed skating section would be cool too, but logistically difficult.

Follow up: 1948 games had a dumb one
by Irish Tool  (2018-02-21 14:48:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as a demonstration event. Fencing? Equestrian? In the snow? Was it held at Winterfell?