He'd be great! *
by harigtad (2018-07-02 12:23:31)

In reply to: Kalbas? *  posted by FL_Irish

This user did not provide content for this post

They got Alison Silverio from Oregon
by FL_Irish  (2018-07-06 10:27:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems like a potential up-and-comer, but her resume is a little thin to be taking over a program that was Final Four caliber when Swarbrick arrived. She's done a nice job turning around Oregon, but was only there for four years with two NCAA appearances.

"a program that was Final Four caliber when
by Nigeltufnel  (2018-07-06 16:06:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Swarbrick arrived." Is the implication that Swarbrick drove this program into the abyss as well? If so can you share your insights to those that are not in the know? Thanks in advance

My outsider's sense is that he let Louderback hang on...
by FL_Irish  (2018-07-06 16:36:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...several years too long, which I can somewhat understand because Louderback built that program from nothing and it's always hard to show a guy like that the door.

My outsider's sense is also that he's now botched the search for a replacement. The position was open for over two months after a planned retirement. There is no way that Silverio was on the short list. They pretty clearly whiffed on some (possibly several) others first.

Underlying all of this is the fact that the indoor tennis facility is a disgrace and becomes more of a disgrace with each passing year as it becomes even more ancient. As that deterioration has continued (unabated, as far as I can tell) under Swarbrick's long tenure, I think that's on him too.

The bottom line is that a program that made it to back-to-back Final Fours as recently as 2009 and 2010 will now be led by someone with four years of head coaching experience and one NCAA Tournament victory to her name who is hamstrung by a crap facility, which outcome seems to me to be the product of how Swarbrick has mismanaged the program since his arrival.

None of which I intend to suggest that Silverio can't be great. There are certainly some very promising elements of her resume. But based on where we were when Swarbrick showed up Louderback's ultimate replacement could and should have been someone who is far more proven.

It was botched candidates waited 2+ weeks for responses
by harigtad  (2018-07-30 15:30:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For a place that prides itself on taking care of their Alums

Would you hire a random from Oregon (which they did probably saved themselves some coin)

OR

Brian Kalbas (alum, former mens asst. and head coach of NC women one of the best teams in the country)definitely was interested

OR

Michelle Dasso (your most decorated womens player alum) who came back to be the asst. in order to take over from LouderbacK

I know for a fact that in multiple stages in the hiring process ND dragged their feet not getting back to candidates for over 2 weeks...how is that possible when you knew Jay was retiring?

They had a chance to get a lot of former players on board with either of the alum hires, and potentially back more donations for a new facility. Unfortunately with the Oregon hire (while she might be good) the tennis alums aren't happy so probably will be a much longer wait to make much needed improvements to Eck. Tennis is the sport who has waited longest at ND for facility improvements (in fact has gotten worse as football has absorbed some outdoor courts).

Things like this start at the top - Swarbrick