9.9 mens scholarships
by NDoggie78 (2020-02-19 16:57:44)
Edited on 2020-02-20 08:39:54

In reply to: It's not just about the money  posted by fontoknow

That doesn't seem like it would move the needle much in spots in the class, especially when it would eventually be spread over 4 or 5 classes.

Granted, Title IX might require adding Field Hockey (12) or Ice Hockey (18) for women, but women athletes tend to be closer to the norm of other students as far as academics go.

Also, we have built new dorms and not increased the enrollment appreciably (yes, I know the overcrowded dorm argument) - instead of displacing students or legacies, why not just add 5 or 6 students a year for these athletic programs.

Wouldn't need to build facilities - Field Hockey could play on lacrosse or soccer fields, Ice Hockey is already there and has two rinks, wrestling could move into the Pit

Edit: I guess there could be some preferred walk-ons that get into ND more on their wrestling merits than their academics - but unlike money generating sports, I would suspect they would have to be close to the normal student.
Also, not sure but I believe the scholarships can be split so the 9.9 could go to 20+ athletes increasing the number of "extra" students in my proposal.

Bottom line (if you can't tell) I would like to see Wrestling back at Notre Dame

Replies: