Any thoughts on Molly Huddle's chances at the ...
by Rocksteady74 (2020-02-28 18:36:22)

... Olympic Marathon Trials? I will be rooting for her, but I don't think she will make the team unless it is a slow race until about 22 and she burns the final 4.2.

That was fun. *
by beancounter  (2020-02-29 17:12:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Huddle and Seidel in lead pack at 5 miles *
by jclay  (2020-02-29 12:47:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Still there at 19 miles. Pack of 12 *
by jclay  (2020-02-29 14:10:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seidel leading at 21.5 miles, Huddle falling back *
by jclay  (2020-02-29 14:21:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seidel looks really good. Nice to see it! *
by ewillND  (2020-02-29 14:33:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think she'll make it.
by ewillND  (2020-02-29 12:46:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She can't run in Vaporflies, though--they hurt her ankle, and she didn't get much economy out of them. I'm not sure if that will cost her or not. But she's running fast and has a shot. I'd say:

Emily Sisson
Jordan Hasay
Molly Huddle

But that's just a guess. In my heart, I would love to see Desi Linden make it again, but I don't think she will.

I don't think it was the Vaporflys that hurt her ankle.
by Rocksteady74  (2020-03-02 00:14:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was the Saucony version of a 'super shoe'. She is sponsored by Saucony. Her training partner Sisson is sponsored by New Balance.

Ah, you are right, it was.
by ewillND  (2020-03-04 15:02:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I knew that she was sponsored by Saucony, but I think that all of the runners at the OTs got a new pair of Vaporflys.

That said, it's a shame that she didn't get the same economy, and had trouble, with the shoes that are very clearly giving a boost to a lot of runners. I think that this is going to be a debate for quite a while.

Interestingly, there is a range of responses even ...
by Rocksteady74  (2020-03-05 13:39:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... among elite runners with respect to increased economy. Moreover, the plate on top of the extra foam can exacerbate issues such as excessive pronation. And if you aren't running fast miles (at least below six minutes per mile), they can be more problematic than useful. Of course, the latter point isn't really and issue for an elite runner. But it should make the rest of us feel better about not enriching Nike to buy a pair.

Not that I ever buy Nike stuff anyway.

And neither finished. *
by Slotts  (2020-03-02 10:31:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I suspect that was per instructions. If not in contention ..
by Rocksteady74  (2020-03-02 11:53:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... for top three at 21 (and a rep of the coach would advise them of how far they were behind at that point), drop out and save your legs for some money-making races and/or preparing for the 10K at the US track trials. They are professional runners and got in a 21 mile tempo run. Live to fight another day -- and they both have a decent chance to make the Olympic team at 10K.

Got ya. Thanks. *
by Slotts  (2020-03-02 15:37:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you're more knowledgeable than most about
by beancounter  (2020-02-29 12:29:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this sport; no insights here. Rooting for both our Irish runners.