Seidel sixth at the London Marathon
by fortune_smith (2020-10-04 06:46:05)
Edited on 2020-10-04 06:50:00

Finished in 2:25.13 in dismal conditions in 19 bio-secure laps around St James’s Park on the doorstep of Buckingham Palace. Beat her Olympic qualifying time by 138 seconds for a PB given it’s only her second marathon.

Fellow American Sara Hall closed a seemingly insurmountable gap in the final kilometer to claim second over world champion Ruth Chepngetich. Hall PB’d by 15 seconds with a 2:22.01 and looked incredibly strong over the last few miles. She is the first American woman on the podium at the London Marathon since 2006. Hall passed several runners over the last 4-5 miles and looked like she might be able to run a second marathon today.

Kenyan Brigid Kosgei defended her title by a margin slightly more than three minutes.

American Lindsay Flanagan finished 17th.

Lousy day in London, glorious day for the American women.

Nice post, go Molly! On track for the Olympics next year. *
by Domerduck  (2020-10-05 16:39:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How is new-and-improved Hayward Field looking? *
by fortune_smith  (2020-10-08 14:37:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here is 6 pictures plus an article on 4 more years of NCAA
by Domerduck  (2020-10-15 11:32:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

championships at Hayward field until 2027. So 2021,22,24, 25, 26, & 2027 the championship will be held in Eugene so you have lots of chances to experience and root on ND. We do have a defending champion with Nuguse who won the only men's meet held held in xcountry so far this year. The women won both their meets including at Louisville beating 3 SEC teams along with L'ville and App State/Coast Carolina. Looks like ND distance runners will have a few competitors who may make those finals.

It will be interesting if the experience is as exciting as it was old Hayward Field, but it will be hard to top. I first saw meets in the late 70's while I was in grad school at U of O with the highlight watchign the 1980 Olymopic trials in June. We saw greats like Edwin Moses, Mary Decker and 110 Hurdle champs Ronaldo Nehemiah and Stephanie Hightower win their races. The Duck athletes were all over, Tom Hinthaus winning the pole vault and Mac Wilcox winnign the Discus, but the highlight of the meets was the 5k when Oregon Duck runners Matt Centrowitz and Bill McChesney going 1/3.

After I moved to Corvallis I attended a few meets but the most fun was when my daughter ran in the state championships (1500m) in the early 2000s for 3 years which was held Memorial Day weekend, when they also held the Pre Classic. The place was packed for both the high school meet and professional meet and it was a true celebration of Track & Field with Nike holding lots of events. It was an incredicle experience and I hoep the new Hayward Field can bring that much fun. With Covid, I truly miss those experiences and worry my grand kids may never experience them.

Thank you. It really does look terrific!
by fortune_smith  (2020-10-16 04:19:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We’re planning to attend the (now) 2022 World Championships at Hayward.

As you note, high-level track meets are fun and impressive events.

As for ND XC, it will be interesting to see how well our women compete with NCSU at the ACC championship. NCSU was a national championship contender — neck-and-neck with Stanford and ahead of defending champ Arkansas, which lost a lot of seniors — before the season was disrupted.. NCSU’s recruiting has been off-the-charts the past couple of years.

Regarding COVID, I hate to think that we may be operating in socially-distanced fashion for several years. I’m taking encouragement that mortality has sharply declined during the summer and fall case surges and am optimistic we’ll be in a much more normalized state — with our without a vaccine — sometime in 2021. Fingers crossed ....

Looks awesome from the outside. Haven't been in it yet. *
by Domerduck  (2020-10-08 16:11:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post