General track recruiting question
by Mmb (2021-02-22 19:08:07)

I hope this is the right place to put this question.

One of my friends called to ask for advice about her son traveling to an invitational track meet on the East Coast. We live on the West Coast. He has nationally competitive times in the 400. And I believe she said he's also developing in some of the jumping events; But that's not his main focus He's a sophomore in high school.

She reports that everything's up in the air around track in the state and She and her husband are not sure if he'll be able to record enough times in sanctioned meets. He's been training with a coach and belongs to a private track club so I'm guessing injury and being track meet ready is not an issue. They're trying to weigh all this against the risk of flying and competing during covid.

I suggested that he call a couple of track coaches at his universities of interest (includes Notre Dame..) and ask for advice.

I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be other opportunities on the West Coast through the late spring and summer. But I haven't been following high school track for many years.

Any advice I can pass along?

Replies: