There's a dearth of competitions right now on the west coast
by Irishthinclad (2021-02-22 22:49:46)
Edited on 2021-02-23 00:04:21

In reply to: General track recruiting question  posted by Mmb

It's been very hard for high school athletes to find competitions for track and field on the west coast for the past 10 months. That may shift now that California and a few other western states have allowed sports to proceed with their Spring track seasons. There will also be USATF (and AAU) youth competitions this summer with good quality talent at a point in time where the travel risk should be lower.

I'm telling my athletes to keep training and focus on the late Spring and Summer competitions. (Note: I am also very risk adverse and not comfortable at the present time with long duration flights...but that's me. They might be less concerned.)

If he's considering competing in college, have him set up his NCAA clearinghouse profile now and keep his Athletic.net or other online results bio up to date. Make sure his best performances are posted online by the competitions and send those to schools of interest. As was mentioned, no college coach will call him during So. year due to recruiting rules.

Replies: