I think the contact period was pushed back in past few yrs
by fortune_smith (2021-02-23 13:50:39)
Edited on 2021-02-23 15:31:01

In reply to: Yes. My memory however when our daughter was being recruited  posted by Mmb

Others on here may know more history.

I have a distance-running HS junior. My observation is that recruiting interest for '22s intensified once coaches settled out their '21 commits.

Another observation is that coaches from elite universities want to get a sense early on that they're not wasting their time on athletes who may not have the required academic profile or who want scholarships that are not going to be on offer. However, I don't think formal admissions vetting begins until after junior year concludes. Perhaps this was different back in time.

I agree with many points other posters have made. Additionally, in my view, competing in the east coast invitational holds a lot of appeal. It's probably a well-scouted event that helps coaches find athletes, supplementing a process that requires a lot of outreach from the athletes.

Provided the athlete and a chaperone don't perceive themselves as high-risk for COVID, I would be in favor of competing as long as the athlete can go into the event in good racing form -- not to be taken for granted given the limited opportunities to compete over the past year.