IOC apparently allowing a guy in women's lifting in Japan
by G.K.Chesterton (2021-05-06 23:19:45)

My apologies. I meant to say a transgender athlete.

If the IOC is to going to allow transgender athletes in the games on the women's side, you will see a small but steady decrease of interest in the woman's sports. It's East Germany all over again. When you find me agreeing with Martina Navratilova and Caitlyn Jenner, you know the other party is on the wrong side of the argument.

FYI, Jenner is a hypocrite
by jclay  (2021-05-14 13:24:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She has competed in women’s only golf tournaments, but says trans women shouldn’t compete in women’s sports (which includes golf).

And we all know that Megan Youngren is the top women’s marathoner in the US (hint: she barely finished in the top 2/3rds (260th out of 390) of the US Marathon Trials last year, the same race where Molly Seidel qualified for the Olympics)

Jenner deserves to be questioned on that.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-05-15 18:29:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That said, competing in a pro-am is different than the Olympics (and yes, Jenner did compete in that golf tournament, so she deserves what she gets).

Having said that, Martina Navratilova made a similar comment against transgender women competing in women's event two years ago and that famous lesbian got thrown out of Athlete Ally being being transphobic (and thus earned my respect).

The emperor has no clothes on but don't you dare point it out.

Rene Richards comments
by SixShutouts66  (2021-05-15 23:12:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You may remember Rene Richards who was a transgender female tennis player in the 70s (the former Richard Raskin, captain ofYale's mens tennis team and elite college player). Here are some notes from her Wikipedia writeup (edited a bit):

Richards played professionally from 1977 to 1981.She was ranked as high as 20th overall (in February 1979), and her highest ranking at the end of a year was 22nd (in 1977). Her greatest successes on court were reaching the doubles final at her first U.S. Open in 1977, with Betty Ann Grubb Stuart – the pair lost a close match to Martina Navratilova and Betty Stöve – and winning the 35-and-over women's singles. Richards posted wins over Hana Mandlíková, Sylvia Hanika, Virginia Ruzici, and Pam Shriver. She later coached Navratilova to two Wimbledon wins.

Richards has since expressed ambivalence about her legacy, and came to believe her past as a man provided her with advantages over her competitors, saying "Having lived for the past 30 years, I know if I'd had surgery at the age of 22, and then at 24 went on the tour, no genetic woman in the world would have been able to come close to me. And so I've reconsidered my opinion."

I agree with her opinion. *
by kellykapowski  (2021-05-25 15:52:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is it that hard to use proper pronouns?
by No Right Turn on Red  (2021-05-07 00:10:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's insulting and hurtful to transgender individuals.

I think one can have a discussion about the rules regarding transgender participation in sports (i.e., testosterone level testing vs. hormone suppression). There likely will never be a perfect system, and the Olympics have yet to come to a consistent place, varying between distances and disciplines in the same sport, much less sport-to-sport.