Do we not row or ride bikes well in the US?
by NDoggie78 (2021-08-06 08:59:37)

Seems to be an awful lot of these events without Americans even making the final

1 Bike gold. Omnium just now *
by Radi-skull  (2021-08-07 23:57:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On the bike front I blame Lance as we used to be competitive *
by Domerduck  (2021-08-07 08:39:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

two ideas
by melanzana  (2021-08-06 11:14:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By and large, these aren't NCAA sports? Women's rowing is big but it seems like there are a lot of different rowing events?

Without government support in the US, athletes in these sports can't make a living while they train and compete?

Maybe both of these also apply to other sports where the US does well so what the hell do I know?!?!

Maybe good reasons
by NDoggie78  (2021-08-06 14:20:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But with our population size, relative wealth, access to water, access to sporting venues, access to equipment, you would think we could perform at least as well as these other smaller countries.
Is funding an issue?
Why wouldn't a US bike company or a boat company step up to sponsor?

Pay to play permeates so many aspects of sports development
by fontoknow  (2021-08-06 17:17:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the united states. This is especially true in olympic sports.

In many European countries multi sports clubs with vast adult memberships subsidize the operation of niche sports particularly with youth departments that are largely free to participate in.

If I want to fence in the united states, I have to find a fencing club and likely spend a boat load of fees and travel costs to go to competitions.

We also very much rely on intercollegiate athletics to provide training grounds for the nichest of sports. This might not be the most optimal way to identify and cultivate talent for some sports.

I've never rowed a bike before. How do you do that? *
by Domerduck  (2021-08-06 09:48:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Set myself up for that one, BUT ....
by NDoggie78  (2021-08-06 10:09:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

nice *
by Domerduck  (2021-08-07 08:38:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post