Apparently 85% Humidity, To Boot. Ugh. Molly In Lead Pack
by dillon77 (2021-08-06 18:11:37)

In reply to: ~79 at start. It will be a hot one *  posted by jclay

..just short of 20K, along with three Kenyan and a whole bunch of other competitors.

Race will be as much about how one's body holds up as anything else.

Molly Still in Lead Pack at 18 Miles.
by dillon77  (2021-08-06 18:45:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hanging in with WR holder and World Champ.

Smart running in the shade as much as possible.

Wish Dez Linden had made the 3rd spot...she's made for tough conditions and would be lurking right now....

Both she and Huddle had rough trials
by Allumeuse  (2021-08-06 18:50:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Huddle had some equipment issues and Des just couldn’t break into the top three. I love Ali (she is lovely and I bought one of her hats) but I wonder if she should be declined due to the short training and let Des take her place.

My Son -- An Active Marathoner -- Thought The Same Thing
by dillon77  (2021-08-07 08:09:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There really are no "minor" hip injuries and, sure enough, that took the toll on her. Des does well in extreme conditions.

Still, maybe Ali thought she could persevere and run through it. As Molly said, these things (Olympics) only come around so often and you want to strike while you can.

The conditions seem just brutal
by Allumeuse  (2021-08-06 18:15:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sally and Molly are holding up well so far. Still doesn’t seem like there is much here to deal with this heat despite pulling the time up.

Also nice to see some fans outside despite the recommendation not to watch given how marathon crazy the Japanese are. Also loving this course, beautiful tour of the city with some good inclines.