Either ban or devise an equalizing time penalty
by SixShutouts66 (2021-12-21 23:47:15)

In reply to: Swimming World: NCAA needs to deal with the Lia Thomas  posted by G.K.Chesterton

This is a heavily charged issue, and opposition to trans-females tends to get one labeled as prejudiced and intolerant. I certainly don't pretend to understand all the aspects of the issue, but I (probably like you GKC) have heard that many people are much happier and at peace after switching gender. I respect their courage in this difficult step and wish them the best.

I, like many other people, think that trans females have physical advantages in most sports competition. A person like Lia Thomas should not be allowed to advance their percentile ranking due to a transition (e.g. if Thomas was in the top 20th percentile as a male swimmer, being in the top 1% as a female swimmer is an unfair advantage).

Other than outright banning her, the only thing I can think of is assessing a time penalty to equalize her advantage. I don't pretend to know how to calculate it.

Unfortunately many people making decision about this or strongly expressing opinions don't consider the outlooks of females-by-birth.

Replies: