Answer(s): I'm Not Sure
by dillon77 (2022-11-13 18:10:20)

In reply to: One question  posted by JBL

- Yes, ND seemed to run the rest of their fall schedule with (at least) two weeks between meets, save for this one.
- However, this is the same for everyone. All the NCAA regionals are held on the same day. Hence, no one team has an advantage of not running and saving their stuff.
- Each region had two automatic qualifiers and ND & Ohio State ended up getting them in the women section. The selection show added Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin.
- The guys had Wisconsin and ND as the automatic qualifiers, while Michigan and Butler were added on.
- It's obvious that the ND women were going to win the Regional, come hell, high water or taking the pedal off the metal a bit. But some coaches might want to run their charges hard (quite candidly the distances aren't that tough and they're not running heats). And also, how do you modulate speed? I ran XC in HS and did a lot of road races as an adult. It's one thing to run a slower pace the whole time, but to adjust a pace -- at least for me -- it was hard.
- Plus, the coaching staff might want the kids to run hard to get some recognition. ND women had a few seniors and this might be their best year. Or you might want an underclassman to score well so she can let it rip at nationals.
- The guys were in tighter races so I wouldn't have even entertained slowing down. Wisconsin is a tough match and the Irish can gauge progress against them. And you certainly want to beat Michigan. Peroiod.

So, unless you're Molly Seidel, I can't see adjusting pace that easily (and still win).

Once again, I think the Irish have had a splendid season with both squads. I expect NC State to win the women's side -- let's see how some of our Irish do!