ND Volleyball Updates
by MPG (2023-01-17 11:16:26)
Edited on 2023-01-17 11:21:43

ND seems to have added an honorable mention All American, outside hitter from High Point, Sydney Palazzolo. She is completing her sophomore year of college and will be the most accomplished transfer for the volleyball program.

I never saw a press release regarding ND's 2023 freshman recruits, but the two Texans I mentioned in an earlier post have signed per their twitter accounts: outside hitter Logan Brannan and libero Alyssa Manitzas. Two walk-ons seem to be committed for 2023: Olivia Maulding, a middle blocker from Oregon and Lily Fenton, a setter from Pennsylvania.

A transfer middle blocker would be a great addition for the 2023 season!

2024 Volleyball Recruits
by Sneem  (2023-01-23 07:35:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Per volleyballtalk.pro boards.com

Anna Bjork MB/RS
Mallory Bohl MB
Morgan Gaerte OH

Is Anna any relation to Kirt, Anders, Brady? *
by SavageDragon  (2023-01-24 09:23:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had to look - could be related, but not immediate family?
by NDoggie78  (2023-01-26 09:37:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anna is from Oconomowoc, WI (west of Milwaukee)
Anders is from Mequon, WI (north of Milwaukee)
Close, but not the same city.
She is listed at 6'-3", whereas Anders is listed at 6'-0"
Kirt, Anders father, is listed at 5'-8"
Brady, Kirt's son, Anders' brother is listed at 6'-1"

Her bio says she is the 2nd oldest of 4 children, so she couldn't have 2 older brothers. I guess they could still be related?

Yes, each of them is considered among the top prospects
by MPG  (2023-01-23 11:14:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in their respective states of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana.

Thanks, and for your mention of Mallory Bohl. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2023-01-18 14:51:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Salima Rockwell?
by BabaGhanouj  (2023-01-18 15:40:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There was a thread on the Bench as to why women’s basketball has returned to excellence while the men’s team has not. There was a lot of activity and the discussion didn’t need my input, but I’d like to hide away a few comments here where, hopefully, few will see them.

Despite some good comments (the travesty of one-and-done and the end of the college men’s basketball experience), there were also a lot who overlooked the obvious. It’s freaking hard! There are about 100 teams in any given sport that are fully committed, or mostly committed, to winning a national championship. To be consistently in the top 4, or so, is just not going to happen without an extraordinary, and I mean really extraordinary, coach, who can recruit and develop and inspire students.

Some say that other sports can’t compete at ND because it is, and will always be, known as a football school. I say hogwash! Out of 100 high school football players, I would be surprised if 1 had heard of Knute Rockne. I’m sorry, but recruits are 16, 17, or 18 — not 90!

Notre Dame is a women’s (and men’s) soccer school, a women’s basketball school, a fencing school, and, perhaps, to hear MPG talk about our recent recruiting and Salima Rockwell, a soon-to-be Volleyball school.

It’s the coaches!!! (I guess it’s also the person(s) who put those coaches in place, but I would never say that here.)

Sports that need to use partial scholarships are tough
by SixShutouts66  (2023-01-27 14:05:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for ND I would think. I don't know what the rules are for reduced tuition wrt to athletes receiving an athletic scholarship.

I totally agree
by njmike  (2023-01-21 09:40:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with your "hogwash" comment. We're definitely the #1 fencing program in the country, won National Championships in WBB and MSOC not too long ago and been very close in numerous other sports. An outstanding coach is the key.

I think people forget how hard it is to win a national title
by usaf_irish  (2023-03-23 07:58:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

People look at programs like Alabama in football, Penn State in wrestling, or South Carolina in women's basketball and think winning is just a matter of plugging new gears into the machine.

All three of those programs has a couple of things in common. Excellent coaches who are not only great "Xs and Os" coaches, but also people who understand the value of relationships.

One thing I hear time and time again is that the single most valuable characteristic a modern coach can have is the ability to create and maintain relationships.

If Pitt Can Get a Team to the Volleyball Final 4 ....
by dillon77  (2023-02-13 09:11:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..it shows me that the coach is drawing the right players and coaching them up.

Also, Randy Waldrum -- remember him? -- has started building up the Pitt Women's program to be among the top third in the ACC.

But the Women's Hoops -- ahough they play hard -- languish near the cellar of the ACC. Vollyball great? Hoops, suck? Can't be the institution. Need to get a new coach.

The baseball program made a dramatic improvement with
by MPG  (2023-01-18 18:11:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coach Jarrett and I'll bet that Coach Stiffler will maintain the positive momentum, though I don't expect a CWS appearance this year.

It is hard to believe that Kevin Corrigan has a built a lacrosse program in Indiana into a national power.

Coaching does matter and anything is possible, especially in this new world...

Matt Sparks and ND's Long-Distance Program (See Above) *
by dillon77  (2023-02-13 09:06:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And his work with some NCAA champ in XC and Track and Olympic medalist named Seidel. Molly Seidel.