Thanks, and for your mention of Mallory Bohl. *
by BabaGhanouj (2023-01-18 14:51:04)

In reply to: ND Volleyball Updates  posted by MPG

This user did not provide content for this post

Salima Rockwell?
by BabaGhanouj  (2023-01-18 15:40:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There was a thread on the Bench as to why women’s basketball has returned to excellence while the men’s team has not. There was a lot of activity and the discussion didn’t need my input, but I’d like to hide away a few comments here where, hopefully, few will see them.

Despite some good comments (the travesty of one-and-done and the end of the college men’s basketball experience), there were also a lot who overlooked the obvious. It’s freaking hard! There are about 100 teams in any given sport that are fully committed, or mostly committed, to winning a national championship. To be consistently in the top 4, or so, is just not going to happen without an extraordinary, and I mean really extraordinary, coach, who can recruit and develop and inspire students.

Some say that other sports can’t compete at ND because it is, and will always be, known as a football school. I say hogwash! Out of 100 high school football players, I would be surprised if 1 had heard of Knute Rockne. I’m sorry, but recruits are 16, 17, or 18 — not 90!

Notre Dame is a women’s (and men’s) soccer school, a women’s basketball school, a fencing school, and, perhaps, to hear MPG talk about our recent recruiting and Salima Rockwell, a soon-to-be Volleyball school.

It’s the coaches!!! (I guess it’s also the person(s) who put those coaches in place, but I would never say that here.)

Sports that need to use partial scholarships are tough
by SixShutouts66  (2023-01-27 14:05:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for ND I would think. I don't know what the rules are for reduced tuition wrt to athletes receiving an athletic scholarship.

I totally agree
by njmike  (2023-01-21 09:40:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with your "hogwash" comment. We're definitely the #1 fencing program in the country, won National Championships in WBB and MSOC not too long ago and been very close in numerous other sports. An outstanding coach is the key.

I think people forget how hard it is to win a national title
by usaf_irish  (2023-03-23 07:58:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

People look at programs like Alabama in football, Penn State in wrestling, or South Carolina in women's basketball and think winning is just a matter of plugging new gears into the machine.

All three of those programs has a couple of things in common. Excellent coaches who are not only great "Xs and Os" coaches, but also people who understand the value of relationships.

One thing I hear time and time again is that the single most valuable characteristic a modern coach can have is the ability to create and maintain relationships.

If Pitt Can Get a Team to the Volleyball Final 4 ....
by dillon77  (2023-02-13 09:11:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..it shows me that the coach is drawing the right players and coaching them up.

Also, Randy Waldrum -- remember him? -- has started building up the Pitt Women's program to be among the top third in the ACC.

But the Women's Hoops -- ahough they play hard -- languish near the cellar of the ACC. Vollyball great? Hoops, suck? Can't be the institution. Need to get a new coach.

The baseball program made a dramatic improvement with
by MPG  (2023-01-18 18:11:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coach Jarrett and I'll bet that Coach Stiffler will maintain the positive momentum, though I don't expect a CWS appearance this year.

It is hard to believe that Kevin Corrigan has a built a lacrosse program in Indiana into a national power.

Coaching does matter and anything is possible, especially in this new world...

Matt Sparks and ND's Long-Distance Program (See Above) *
by dillon77  (2023-02-13 09:06:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And his work with some NCAA champ in XC and Track and Olympic medalist named Seidel. Molly Seidel.