I totally agree
by njmike (2023-01-21 09:40:56)

In reply to: Salima Rockwell?  posted by BabaGhanouj

with your "hogwash" comment. We're definitely the #1 fencing program in the country, won National Championships in WBB and MSOC not too long ago and been very close in numerous other sports. An outstanding coach is the key.

I think people forget how hard it is to win a national title
by usaf_irish  (2023-03-23 07:58:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

People look at programs like Alabama in football, Penn State in wrestling, or South Carolina in women's basketball and think winning is just a matter of plugging new gears into the machine.

All three of those programs has a couple of things in common. Excellent coaches who are not only great "Xs and Os" coaches, but also people who understand the value of relationships.

One thing I hear time and time again is that the single most valuable characteristic a modern coach can have is the ability to create and maintain relationships.

If Pitt Can Get a Team to the Volleyball Final 4 ....
by dillon77  (2023-02-13 09:11:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..it shows me that the coach is drawing the right players and coaching them up.

Also, Randy Waldrum -- remember him? -- has started building up the Pitt Women's program to be among the top third in the ACC.

But the Women's Hoops -- ahough they play hard -- languish near the cellar of the ACC. Vollyball great? Hoops, suck? Can't be the institution. Need to get a new coach.