Youth Movement (link)
by Kayo (2019-01-02 07:19:28)

You sound a little more optimistic about the remainder of
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-01-03 10:56:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the year than I am. I know you didn't predict it but I'd be completely shocked if we won four road games.

More interested than optimistic
by Kayo  (2019-01-03 11:18:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is a lot of potential. Some of it will be realized this season. It's just a matter of how much.

I'm sure of this. The team will look a lot different in a month.

That is virtually certain.
by Ndwahoo  (2019-01-05 08:22:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Either they will improve, or morale will flag as they pile up losses, they will enter a tailspin, and and they will end up like the first year in the ACC.

Because if they don’t improve pretty quickly, we won’t win a lot of games even with good effort.

I hope they improve quickly.

Good Job, Kevin
by pax1965  (2019-01-02 20:17:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As I mentioned to you before, it's all about next year. I believe this team can be special then. Maybe, we will see a little of that earlier and sneak into the dance. If not, I'm fine with the NIT. The more playing time the better for the young guys.

Thanks, Kevin *
by T-Bone  (2019-01-02 14:46:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the youth movement will pay off in the long run.
by 84david  (2019-01-02 14:09:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have my doubts it will come together this year.

Won't surprise me if this team is pretty good in February
by Kayo  (2019-01-02 15:45:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It might be too late to make the tournament by then; but Laszewski and Goodwin are starting to play well with a lot of room to be better still, and I still think we'll see a much better Hubb. I also like what Durham does for this team; and because he's a pretty smart guy, I believe he will become more judicious about fouling.

Those are four talented players who will get nothing but better with experience. What we see today is nor what we will see in a month.

On Durham and fouling out
by pmoose  (2019-01-03 08:16:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought at least 2 of the fouls called against VT were bad calls. Still, he has to recognize the situation and avoid fouls when he's in foul trouble. For example, I thought his 3rd and 5th fouls were cases where he didn't put himself in the best position, even if I disagreed with the foul call.

And I agree I think he'll get better. It's obvious he's smart and coachable and he has been the brightest spot on a team that at times is frustrating to watch.

Where do you see Hubb making ST progress?
by Norm  (2019-01-02 17:55:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Decision making on shots? Ability to get drives to hoop?
Thanks for the great coverage and insight.

the problem with Hubb is not just his trey %
by Ajax  (2019-01-02 18:57:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's the amount of treys he is taken, particularly with respect to the amount of twos he takes. Right now over 50% of his shots are treys (58 of 112).

I get him taking treys in late shot clock situations or when he is wide open (for a reason), but the early shot clock attempts and flat out forces are like turnovers.

Tory Jackson was a career 32% trey shooter at ND and a bad 24% as a frosh, but he averaged less than 2 trey attempts per game. Of his 202 FGA's as a frosh, just 54 were treys. He shot 48% on twos.

I am completely mystified how an experienced coach like Brey allows this.

Its not just that. I'm not crazy about his "court sense"
by 84david  (2019-01-03 08:34:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

either. That is something Hubb can learn with time in Brey's system. I think the timeline is longer than some think though.

2.2 assist/turnover ratio
by Kayo  (2019-01-03 17:57:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is one steal behind Gibbs for the active players lead. (Both will pass Pfleuger in short order.) I can't wait to see those stats when he gets some court sense.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have many options.
by DomerJon  (2019-01-02 19:29:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If rex didn't get hurt he could at least pull him and let him sit for a while. If Hubb can start to knock down some of the wide open 3's it should fix both his percentage and his 2 pt shooting attempts. Once they start to fall it will be easier to drive as they wont be able to sag off on defense.

Agreed, but Brey still can play Gibbs at PG
by Ajax  (2019-01-02 21:54:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and go with 2 of Goodwin, Harvey, and Djogo at the 2 wing spots.

Goodwin does not force treys and based on a small sample size neither does Djogo. Harvey you can live with it, because he can create his own shots and they are not all treys. Hubb's stylish dribbling skills does not always align with the maximum ball movement ND needs.

As I noted, unless Hubb can penetrate the Cuse zone, he will be an even bigger negative in that game (because he will be left open and chucking).

Good defender
by oldbender  (2019-01-03 16:52:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is something some are missing, Hubb is, right now without Rex, probably NDs best defender. Certainly better than any of wing or backcourt guys, although Harvey can be a force when he puts his mind to it. Hubb also has good speed. Something that this team lacks. And, finally, unlike what we would say, Brey is publicly telling him to shoot and has been all year. Mike, right now is committed to Hubb and his development. I doubt that will change soon.

People should pay attention to him beating screens
by Kayo  (2019-01-03 18:01:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He gets through them better than Pfleuger did. Rex was a better man to man defender, and he got more rebounds than a guy his size should have; but Hubb is better against ball screens.

Nice work- looking forward to the next one *
by garbageplate  (2019-01-02 11:22:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post