Carte'Are Gordon is transferring from St. Louis
by garbageplate (2019-01-03 20:59:53)

Tom Noie insinuated that ND might be interested in Gordon, whom we recruited out of high school as a top-75 recruit.

On the other hand, the linked article suggests that Gordon probably wouldn't be a fit at ND. Our last highly recruited player from the St. Louis area definitely was not a fit.

a few long ago ND BB recruits from St Louis
by olson  (2019-01-04 08:55:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 1950-51 ND basketball recruited 6'5 Dick Rosenthal from St Louis McBride HS

1952-53 ND BB added 6'5 Lloyd Aubrey St Louis DeAndries

Both Rosenthal & Aubrey were named 'Chuck Taylor' Prep AA(in the days before the Parade & McDonalds Prep AA teams- link..albeit Rosenthal hometown is mislabeled on roster.

1953-54 ND BB addded 6'7 Hank Luepke from St Louis

then
a 1959-60 ND recruit-Bill Kurz 6'8 from Quincy, Ill actually transferred from ND to St Louis U(and had a decent career for the Billikens)

...as the link points out, Chuck Taylor's HS AA game/team left out any African American players...hence the reason the All Star game died out by the mid-50s...just around the time that Parade Prep AA team replaced it.

slightly different recruiting question
by plaidsquirrel  (2019-01-04 09:56:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Olson, do you know anything about the basketball recruits coming in for the fall of '48?

My Grandfather-In-Law had a letter he received from Coach Krause telling him that there wouldn't be room for him that year due to the boys coming back from the war. He ended up playing for a smaller school in Indiana.

Don't know how serious his recruitment was, but have always been curious who got the spots.

1948-49 Notre Dame Frosh basketball recruits
by olson  (2019-01-04 10:08:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1948-49 ND Frosh BB recruits

Don Strasser 6'0 Chicago Leo
Leroy Leslie 6'2 Johnstown Pa Catholic
Jack Neumayr 6'3 San Francisco Cal St. Ignatius
Bob Wray 6'4 Brooklyn NY Tech
Dick Clancy 6'2 Kankakee Ill St Patrick
Mike Jaekels 6'5 Shorewood Wis Marquette
Jerry Stricker 6'4 Charlestown WVa Catholic
Hughes Wilcox 6'6 Council Bluff Ia Lincoln
Tom Roemer Holy Cross Seminary + US Army

Jaekels transferred to Marquette & went to Med school

thanks
by plaidsquirrel  (2019-01-05 09:22:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

appreciate the information

I had dinner with Hank, as I knew his daughters *
by dillon301  (2019-01-04 09:21:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Article says Memphis is most likely
by Ajax  (2019-01-04 01:16:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

also the kid has a ton of baggage.

I'd prefer Brey bring in a guard who can make shots.

I'd prefer that our guards recruited to make shots, do so.
by NDMike2001  (2019-01-04 12:07:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And that Brey raises the level of athleticism in his recruits.

LaPhonso Ellis was great *
by dillon301  (2019-01-03 21:21:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wasn't referring to him
by garbageplate  (2019-01-03 21:28:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nor was I advocating for a blanket refusal to recruit players from the area.

I knew that... *
by dillon301  (2019-01-03 22:57:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post