Recruiting Questions
by DomerJon (2019-01-04 12:00:28)

How many can we take for next year?
Is Tre Mitchell still an ND lean and if not him then who?
Any chance at Anthony or pipe dream?

Interesting to compare the recruiting
by Homeboy73  (2019-01-05 00:14:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

discussions on the Pit versus Rock’s House. On RH recently there has been a good deal of animated (and perhaps aggravated) back and fourth about the football program not successfully recruiting 5 stars, and the perceived reasons for that. For Notre Dame men’s hoops, most of us seem to recognize (and accept?) the relative difficulty in recruiting 5 stars to Notre Dame, and have a realistic view of today’s college recruiting.

There is a fundamental difference between FB and BB
by pmoose  (2019-01-05 05:23:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In football, players are required to stay at least 3 years before they are eligible to go pro. In some ways, that makes it so academics isn’t as big of a roadblock. While it is common to suggest FB players at other schools can do nothing, the reality almost everywhere is they must do some academic work at a competent level.

Basketball players only need to stay a year. This requires minimal work in the first semester to stay eligible, then 2nd semester they can do literally nothing and get away with it at most places. That’s not going to fly at ND. I think this is why most ND BB fans recognize the ceiling is different for ND BB versus ND FB.

I could easily see the opposite being true
by TommyZ  (2019-01-05 14:04:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the thought for many to bust their tails for 3 years in the classroom might not be as appealing.

The bottom line is both football and basketball coaches need to get after on the recruiting trail, and start getting involved with players early to build relationships and have success.

Your second paragraph is exactly right *
by garbageplate  (2019-01-05 14:32:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very good point. I would agree. While there are many
by Homeboy73  (2019-01-05 09:20:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

factors (pluses and minuses) involved for Notre Dame to successfully recruit highly rated athletes, one might be the somewhat smaller universe of players where there would be mutual interest or suitability, as compared to many other schools.

Will be very frustrating if we underachieve
by ronniewoo  (2019-01-04 15:57:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If we can't leverage a conference championship, two elite eight appearances and a new practice facility into upgraded recruiting I worry about our ability to compete at the top level of the ACC.

Mike Brey is a great coach and is clearly one of the best at developing players during their four years but there should not be any more excuses for substandard recruiting.

Would be great to parlay all that into 4 top 100 recruits
by Kayo  (2019-01-04 18:02:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...in one class. It would be even better if the staff could add a five star transfer from a school like UConn.

The proof will be in the pudding the next couple of years
by ronniewoo  (2019-01-04 19:24:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I'm not talking about player development but rather the trajectory of our recruiting rankings. The 2018 class was good-very good. Rivals ranked our class 18th and 247 had us 15th. Not sure what class to put Durham in and I am very high on his potential. The fact remains that if we flame out this year combined with the 106th ranked class of 2017 (again excluding Durham) that will be very disappointing and in my opinion a missed opportunity of the fantastic years we had several years ago.

A related question or debate is what should the expectation be at Notre Dame? Can we ever expect to have a top ten ranked class? Is a good class a class ranked in the top 25? How many flame outs can we have before there is a call for a change in recruiting strategy or effort?

In the tasting? *
by Ndwahoo  (2019-01-05 08:03:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good questions
by garbageplate  (2019-01-04 20:55:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're seeing the results of a substandard recruiting class with our senior class (Burns, Rex, and Matt Ryan) and Harvey was a one man class in 2017. If we strike out completely in 2019, then that's three poor classes in five years.

If we land a top 20 class in 2020 and follow it up with another in 2021, then I'll be pleased with our approach. Given our recent track record, however, I'm not expecting us to start stacking good recruiting classes in consecutive years.

Not to totally disregard your point
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-01-04 18:42:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But that was now 2 recruiting cycles ago.

Last year was an understandable empty class but another one this year wouldn’t look great.

But all these top 100 recruits aren't ACC first teamers yet
by Mark_It_Zero  (2019-01-04 18:28:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What am I supposed to do? Wait for them to develop?

Don't you remember how incredible Grant, Connaughton, Jackson, Beachem, and Auguste were as freshman?

You're missing the point
by garbageplate  (2019-01-04 21:07:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think most people understand that the freshmen are going to take time to develop.

The reason that we are playing freshmen is because we had some massive recruiting misses in the previous years.

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm *
by Kayo  (2019-01-05 12:04:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm certain that it was
by garbageplate  (2019-01-05 12:07:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which is why I responded as if it were.

Posters are rightfully alarmed by the sporadic recruiting... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-01-04 21:00:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've been surprised by the athleticism gap
by NDTommie  (2019-01-04 16:36:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Out of high school, Jerian and Pat C were mid 3 star prospects and turned out to be great athletes and obviously NBA guys. It's clear that recipe worked well in the ACC. To me it seems like this 2018-19 team is lacking elite athleticism and I think we'll be overwhelmed a bit in conference play because of that. We can't count on landing Anthony to offset that next year, so hopefully we have a plan B in the transfer market.

Answers
by Ajax  (2019-01-04 15:20:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Technically nd can take 2 and even 3 if Rex opts not to return. I predict 1 if Rex returns (likely a transfer) and 2 if he does not (transfer and a late rising 2019 recruit or one let out of his LOI).

2. ND not the favorite, but not sure who is. Maybe UConn, but they seem interested in other guys. ND not out of it, but unlikely. The only other name I have seen that ND may be monitoring is 6'10 David Skogman. At best he is a developmental 3 star. Averaging around 19 mpg on a very balanced D1 (largest class) team in Wisconsin. Currently ranked 8th and 8-1.
3. Anthony seems to be a pipedream. You almost wonder if he would like to commit to UNC now, but his dad is making him wait. Oregon is apparently a solid number 2 choice. I thought they were going to be on probation next season.

Hope I'm wrong
by garbageplate  (2019-01-04 15:06:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I think the answers to your questions are:

1. One (maybe two);
2. No, nobody;
3. No- pipe dream.

I think the final result will look like me trying to hit an Aroldis Chapman fastball.

Last I heard, we are staring at another major whiff
by oggie  (2019-01-04 13:14:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But since we are redshirting 2 freshman now, next year's class won't be empty.

It's a very longshot to get Anthony, but he still does have to make his decision.

Right now for next year :
by guinness1940  (2019-01-07 14:36:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1 year - Mooney, Gibbs, Pflueger

2 years - Harvey, Durham, Djogo

3 years - Hubb, Laz, Goodwin

4 years - Carmody, Doherty.

I think the 1 and 3 year are solid. How The 2 year shakes out really depends on the continued improvement and health of Harvey and Durham. 2019 looks fairly weak in comparison, but survivable with a quality 2020 haul.

As an aside, do we have more top 100 guys than not on the roster?

Notre Dame mens' basketball recruiting is classified by NSA
by Wolfetone  (2019-01-04 12:31:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Above Top Secret