Random Thoughts
by Taxman (2019-01-05 15:37:20)

1. There is going to be a lot of negativity on this board the rest of this season. I want everyone to remember that two years from now when things have swung the other way. The freshmen and the two second year guys are struggling at this level now, but they will get better. They have talent. They have enough athleticism. They just need to get stronger in some cases (Lasz and Durham) and more experienced in all cases. It will be tough to get rolled a lot this year, but it won't last forever.

2. Right now, this minute, the best team we can put on the floor does not include Hubb. He is such an offensive liability, that he would need to be Gary Payton defensively to justify his presence on the floor. I trust Kayo that he will get better, but he is killing us right now. I would start Goodwin, move TJ to the point and reduce Hubb's minutes. That is, assuming I am trying to win games. If I am playing for next year, then letting Hubb play through this may be okay, although this has to be killing his confidence.

3. I keep saying it, but Lasz is 20 pounds of muscle away from being a beast. He is just so frail right now that he looks worse than he really is. He has great instincts and understands how to play, but he is physically overmatched. I was surprised to see he is shooting 40% from three for the year. It didn't seem like it.

4. There have been three games this year (Oklahoma, VT, and Cuse) where we have been buried by lights out three point shooting. It's not just bad luck, although it is partly that. We are too slow closing out on shooters and the zone we play is too slow to rotate. When Durham is in the game, we should play pressure man defense, guard the three point line like it was our sister's virginity and not worry about being beaten on the drive.

5. Brey hasn't forgotten how to coach. I also think the handwringing over recruiting is a bit too much. How do you get a recruiting class at ND like the one we just got? Answer-- you have to be able to offer immediate playing time. That's what high four stars want. After recruiting essentially an entire starting lineup of high level recruits, there were two ways the next year's recruiting could have gone. Swing for the fences. Or find some three star projects who might end up as the next Bonzie Colson. I could defend either approach and won't second guess Brey with the benefit of hindsight.

6. Kayo, can you ask Brey why Durham doesn't get more minutes? I assume it is conditioning, but I would really like to know. Thanks.

My $0.02
by Twinkie the Kid  (2019-01-07 13:05:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Taxman, I always appreciate your perspective and generally agree with what you write. I don't post much, but I do have a pretty good understanding of basketball and attended the game in-person this past Saturday. My thoughts:

1. Goodwin is going to be a very good player. He has tremendous lateral quickness. His on-ball defense is excellent -- moves his feet well and is always in good position. He reminds me of fellow Ohioan Aaron Craft in this regard. I recall one drive where Brissett tried to take him off the dribble, but Goodwin was with him step-for-step and got a hand in his face on the shot. Unfortunately Brissett still made the bucket (he is 6'8" after all), but it wasn't without a significant challenge.

2. Mooney had his way with the Syracuse bigs. I know Boeheim recruits a certain player for that zone defense, but when Mooney battled for a rebound, rarely did Syracuse win. He needed to hit some of those jumpers from the elbow to more quickly draw the attention from the middle big from the zone, but he was just off this past Saturday. And that issue was compounded in that a miss from Mooney from ~15' meant ND's best rebounder was out of position for an offensive board.

3. What happened to ND free throw shooting? I guess we were spoiled with Connaughton, Grant, Jackson, Vasturia, Farrell, et al. ND left a lot of points on the court with those missed free throws.

4. Hubb will be fine. He hurried his shots, and with his somewhat low release, a hurried shot makes for an inconsistent and erratic result. He is a very good athlete, and if he improves his shot form a little (higher release, getting more comfortable with a quicker set/release), he'll be a contributor.

5. I agree with your analysis when Durham is in the game. Play pressure man defense, and if you get beat on the drive, Durham can hang back and protect the rim. Mooney is also an intimidating presence in the post, though certainly not the shot-blocker that Durham is. The only problem, though, with playing pressure man defense is that it wears out the players more quickly. I don't think ND can do it for a full 40 minutes, particularly with a 7-man rotation. Maybe if Rex was still able to play.

6. I didn't mind any of Gibbs' long range three pointers. It seemed like for all but one of those shots, he set his feet, had good elevation, and fired off a nice shot.

7. My facepalm moment of the game was when Syracuse went fullcourt press. The ball was passed to Hubb who went deep into the corner and picked up his dribble. He then promptly turned it over. C'mon man. This is CYO stuff. Try not to catch the ball in the corner, and if you do, don't give up your dribble. The key to breaking a 1-2-1-1 press is fast decision-making -- immediately dribble to split the trap or up the sideline (depending upon from where the trap guys are coming) or pass right back to the inbounds guy or to a big flashing at midcourt. It was a great call by Boeheim because it took ND completely off-guard, but damn it was frustrating to see that.

8. My second facepalm moment of the game came immediately after my first one. ND successfully and beautifully breaks the press resulting in a 3 on 1 fastbreak, and they settled for a 3-point shot (which ND missed). That fastbreak should've either resulted in a layup or foul. I looked at my wife (who knows nothing about basketball) and said "that's unacceptable." She didn't understand. Oh well.

What are your thoughts on Pflueger coming back?
by BigNDfan  (2019-01-07 11:04:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd rather just roll with the young guards.

I posted this once before....
by Tim Kelley  (2019-01-05 23:14:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For the reasons you mentioned, it is too early to reach any conclusions about the team or Brey. However, I believe that around the middle of the conference schedule would be a good time to review progress...progress from today until then. No one has or should expect any great results this year in terms of a W/L record, but it is my belief that we should expect palpable progress in how the players and the team develops. That’s more difficult to evaluate than game results, but given the situation it is what we should be focusing on. Personally, I don’t believe that the youth thing is something that can continually explain all issues for the entire year or multiple years. The fan base should expect progress with certain players and with certain phases of the game during the year.

the youth is a valid excuse for this season only
by Ajax  (2019-01-06 00:08:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND is without 4 starters from last season.

Of their their rotation 7, only 3 played CBB last season and that includes Harvey.

Only Duke in the ACC lost more from last season and they reload with 3 lottery picks and a 5 star PG.

The youth excuse is valid - but it's because Harvey was our
by btd  (2019-01-06 18:43:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

only recruit his year that we have almost no one returning with any experience. The Rex class maybe can be argued as bad luck -- injury and transfer leaving us with zero players as seniors.

Any way you slice it, Brey allowed the past 4-5 years to unfold such that we are incredibly young this year. Is what it is.

We are absolutely dead if he strikes out next cycle -- even with two redshirts. He basically has to nail another class like the current FR class this next cycle or we are headed for an extended down period even with this FR class.

Saw DJ after the game walking into the Morris Inn
by bobnd80  (2019-01-05 22:12:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He had a very large ice pack strapped to the back of his knee to the point he could barely walk. He started out on fire today (I think he scored eight points in the first two minutes) and then had three free throws the rest of the game. He was very slow closing out on shooters and had two or three offensive fouls because he wasn't quick enough to get around his man. No way he is close to 100 %.

That's too bad. I assume further healing will be difficult
by beancounter  (2019-01-06 14:06:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

during ACC play.

I'm looking at this yr as a preseason for the next 3 yrs
by athlete37  (2019-01-05 21:54:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anything this year is gravy and just fun to watch. We will only get better. You put all of this much better than I have though, of course. Thanks as always for your thoughts

#2 RE:Hubb Not to single out the young man but it’s numbers
by 2ndstreeter  (2019-01-05 21:05:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Today- 28 min. 0 pts on 0-4 shooting all treys
Hard to ignore even if you’re playing for next year and if you’re playing for this year it makes no sense.

Of the rotation 7, Hubb is second in minutes played
by Ajax  (2019-01-05 21:05:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he is 7th in scoring. I realize scoring is not everything, but I doubt Brey has ever had anything like this.

He has played more than double the minutes of Durham and almost double of Lasz.

Here are his current shooting numbers:

32 of 116
12 of 62
16 of 27

of the rotation 7, he is comfortably last in all 3 categories.

I was intrigued that Brey went with the 3 big line up today. Lasz missing FT's and not being able to finish down low unfortunately doomed any come back hopes.

I'd like to see Djogo get some more minutes and obviously less of Hubb. I see no way Djogo can be a bigger negative on offense. He also might be able to help a bit on the defensive boards.

Thanks, I needed that. You and Kayo have eased my pain.
by Cbo86  (2019-01-05 19:45:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I only saw the second half today but it was the worst half of basketball I can recall ever watching. My recollection of McCloud years has faded but today was the first time I have ever wanted to change the station. We just looked so dazed and confused.

When you shoot so poorly, you're going to look like that
by pmoose  (2019-01-06 10:29:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We shot 25% in the 2nd half, and while some shots were forced, there were plenty of shots that were good looks that just didn't drop. I didn't particularly notice any problems with getting open looks on offense, it's just that we weren't hitting shots. We also didn't always make the right choices. For example, Hubb took a 3-point shot at the top of the key after the team moved the ball well when he could have made the extra pass to TJ, who is shooting really well right now when left open.

Maybe others have a different opinion of the 2nd half but it mostly appeared to me that the story is that they made shots and we didn't.

Going to need a big 2020 class
by rsmith18  (2019-01-05 18:04:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm fine with swinging for the fences in recruiting this year but after next year ND will be losing Gibbs, Rex, and Mooney which are big losses. Will definitely need a big time PF/C recruit. i believe Hunter Dickinson from Dematha is one the staff currently is going after hard.

Here is a 2020 list
by Ajax  (2019-01-05 18:23:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

IMO there are 3 to 4 names you can scratch off it.

One name not on it, is Donovan Johnson- younger brother of Cameron.

Trey Galloway also has ND offer
by IndyDave  (2019-01-06 21:47:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

according to a few reports I recall seeing.

Here's a better list with current offers extended
by rsmith18  (2019-01-05 18:30:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe Jaden Ivey also has been offered.

Staff seems to be swinging back again which isn't too surprising considering they'll have Hubb, Carmody, Goodwin. Harvey, and Durham as the likely starters after Gibbs, Mooney, and Rex are gone. Dickinson is supposedly a strong ND lean right now (67% crystal ball to the Irish)

Curious
by Ajax  (2019-01-05 18:43:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and I am not giving you grief, but you don't see the best shooter on that squad starting as a junior (with 2 more years of added weight/strength)?

And yes Ivey was offered. I have minimal trust in 247, as they still list Hurt and Stewart as 2019 targets.

BTW, I'm also curious how a list of 4 guys and Ivey missing is a 'better list". Perhaps you can "clarify".

For the record
by El Kabong  (2019-01-06 09:54:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The conversation was going fine until you started being a tool here.

Amen. *
by Rosecrea  (2019-01-07 07:38:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nate definitely could. I think it'll depend on matchup
by rsmith18  (2019-01-05 19:50:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Harvey sometimes plays small ball 4 but you could slide him to the 3 and play both Nate and Durham at the 4 and 5 depending on the opposing team... Brey did this in past years I believe starting Bonzie and Auguste together more towards the end of the year to get a better offensive rhythm than going with 2 bigs.

Not sure why you're using quotation marks around clarify but I believe it is better as it shows the offers the staff has extended and also the prospects that were mentioned in the article you attached. That is a better resource imo to show targets and offers, whereas the article you attached had only 2-3 guys who have been offered, and is a bit outdated as Galloway now has an offer. Both are good starts to see where recruiting is heading for 2020. I just personally like seeing who the staff has already offered and predictions on the landing spots.

And my question to you is...
by El Kabong  (2019-01-06 09:56:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...why does a BC guy give so much of a damn about Notre Dame basketball?

Payton was great on offense too at Oregon St-saw him score
by Domerduck  (2019-01-05 17:49:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

58 against SC and 48 against LMU, both games in Corvallis. He was awesome on D learning from the master Ralph Miller, but Jimmie Anderson let him unleash his offensive skill that senior year.

That OT game against SC I had great seats 8th row/center court and watched him duel with Robert Pack as he willed the Beavers to the win and never quit. I loved George Raveling's quote in the LA Times linked "It was one of the greatest one-man performances I've ever seen in this league in 15 years, be it (Bill) Walton or (Kareem) Abdul-Jabbar,". Hubb would do well to model his game off GP's and I agree we should help him develop.

Was there today. Agree on all pts. Better days ahead *
by Circuslunch  (2019-01-05 17:32:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

seconded *
by TommyZ  (2019-01-05 17:37:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're always the voice of reason. #2 is right on. *
by Dennis  (2019-01-05 17:26:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On recruiting
by TommyZ  (2019-01-05 17:26:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are we recruiting current Indiana sophomores Caleb Furst (FW Blackhawk) and Kristian Lander (Evansville Reitz)? I hope that we are actively recruiting and building relationships with both of them.

Agree. On #5, Cole Anthony is still a hope...
by rsmith18  (2019-01-05 16:25:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He said he wanted to play for a non one and done factory and wants to be able to play for a team capable of reaching a Final Four/championship. From all reports, it seems Oregon and UNC are the frontrunners. UNC has Armando Bacot who is one of Cole's better friends.

I'm not so sure either would have a better roster than ND next year BUT because ND has the whole team back, there's going to be a big logjam at guard. If he goes to UNC or Oregon there's almost no competition for any touches or shots.

Oregon loses Bol Bol to the NBA and possibly Louis King (highly rated freshman).

UNC loses 3 seniors in Kenny Williams, Luke Maye, and Cam Johnson, along with 1 or both of Coby White and Nassir Little. If they don't get Cole Anthony, next year will be one of their worst teams in a decade.

ND has a better roster next year than UNC but like you mentioned, having the whole team back makes it harder to recruit.

There would be no competition for touches or shots
by Ajax  (2019-01-05 17:25:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for Anthony at ND. He is projected to be a top 3-5 pick in the 2020 NBA draft. Hubb would go to the bench, end of discussion.

If the impossible were to happen with Anthony at ND, I would redshirt Hubb in 19-20. I would have Hubb spend the majority of his time working with Ayers on fixing his shot. He has zero hope to play in the NBA with his current shooting form. If he believes he does, than he has zero self awareness.

I don't disagree Anthony would be the best player
by rsmith18  (2019-01-05 18:01:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but my point was more that UNC and Oregon are losing all or most of their best players and ND has everyone back. Anthony would obviously start and play 35 MPG but there would definitely be more competition for touches and shots, whereas at UNC or Oregon he would be taking way more shots.

UNC's leading scorer next year if they lose both Little and White would be PF Brooks who averages 9 pts and takes 6 FGA per game.

Anthony would still get his pts and assists at ND, don't get me wrong, but would be literally the whole offense at UNC or Oregon.

Does Anthony want the whole offense to revolve around him...
by revressbo  (2019-01-05 20:10:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or does he want to make a Final Four?

The reports have said the latter.

I realize the buzz is on UNC and Oregon
by Ajax  (2019-01-05 21:26:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but Miami could be the dark horse team.

Perimeter guys

Lykes 17.5 ppg
Anthony
Vasiljevic 12 ppg
McGusty (Okie State transfer who averaged 11 as a frosh and 8 as a soph)

If Hernandez is eligible next season, that's a solid big. Need one more.

Excellent coach with a Final 4.

Oh yeah, fairly sure Greg Anthony lives in SE Florida, as his wife is a dermatologist in Boca Raton.

Agree. He should definitely take a look at Miami.
by rsmith18  (2019-01-05 22:20:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Miami or ND i'd argue have the best chance to make a final four (very tough to do, usually depends on matchups in NCAA) but both would have more talent that UNC, Oregon, Wake, and Gtown.

Larranga also seems to be a player's coach and NBA talent has been attracted to his program recently.

If he just wants final four, ND should be the favorite.
by rsmith18  (2019-01-05 20:39:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would be awesome to have him!