Burns denied waiver for this season
by Ajax (2019-01-05 19:00:29)

Burns was seeking to become the first Division I men’s basketball player to ever play for two programs within one season. The NCAA has a rule against allowing that to happen, but it had not been previously tested by a graduate transfer. Siena will appeal the NCAA’s waiver denial, but there is no timeline for the NCAA’s response to that appeal.

This is so dumb...
by UpperEastSideIrish  (2019-01-05 19:56:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I get it if you want to transfer for one semester only, but Burns will get an MA at Siena. He graduates in 3.5 years and they take another half away from him. Penalized a bright kid who did his work.

The NCAA just doesn’t get it sometimes.

It should be telling to the NCAA that the fans...
by pmoose  (2019-01-05 21:55:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...from the team Burns is leaving is saying that this ruling is ridiculous.

And that’s not to say we can’t also be annoyed and think his decision as a captain to leave in the early part of the season also reflects poorly on his leadership qualities. I think it’s fair to say most fans like the kid a lot but are disappointed that a guy given a position of captain decided to leave the team in the middle of a season.

Agreed
by UpperEastSideIrish  (2019-01-07 15:54:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For the record, I actually don't feel this reflects poorly on him. I have to respect that kids and their families will want to do what's best for the kid.

He graduated. Brey indicated that he was a class act and gave no indication that he was a problem at all. I really wish we still had him, because I think he'd be a valuable piece in trying to salvage a tourney run. But I get it.

unless he thought the waiver was a given
by Ajax  (2019-01-05 22:05:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it made zero sense to jump ship, especially after seeing how team depth could shrink last season.

He should be eligible at Siena, he graduated.

He wanted more playing time.
by rsmith18  (2019-01-05 22:17:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was caught in the youth movement. Brey mentioned this on his radio show on Thursday that he wanted a bigger and more consistent role. Not saying I agree with Burns leaving but I understand his logic.

He played only 3 mins vs William and Mary, which was just 2 games after his breakout game of 15 pts vs Chicago State. I think he might've seen the writing on the wall with Durham and Nate being the long term guys and staff investing more in them.

Thank you for that explanation
by Ajax  (2019-01-05 23:26:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But spoiler alert: WE ALL KNOW HE WANTED MORE PT and those on the board were well aware of what Brey said regarding him leaving amidst a youth movement, as well as his PT after the Chicago State game.

My point (try to keep up) was unless he had it confirmed the immediate transfer was a given, he went from at worst minimal PT this season to zero PT this season. He ultimately gave up the chance to play in over 25 more games this season. He could have finished out the season and then played his final season at Siena. I don't blame him for leaving (even though IMO captains should never bail), but I don't agree with his logic for leaving.

As noted, the NCAA has never allowed anyone to play at 2 schools in the same season. The choice for Burns was be a leader and accept sporadic PT with the possibility circumstances could change like last season or bail with the minimal hope he could play for Siena immediately.

The ever reliable 247 is still showing ND has interest in Stewart. Maybe you can also give us an "update" on him.

Why the constant pissing matches?
by SECTION 12  (2019-01-07 10:37:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems you always have a bone to pick with someone.

What's your issue?
by rsmith18  (2019-01-05 23:37:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not even arguing your post but just giving explanation for why he thought it was a good decision to transfer. I was hoping to have a normal conversation about his decision to transfer.

Do you have to be a jerk about it and take jabs at every point possible? You really can't help yourself and just have a normal conversation?

Did I do something to your family or something that I'm unaware of which is why you're giving me a hard time on anything, even when i'm not arguing?

Why even bring up 247 and Stewart? What does that add to the discussion on Burns other than trying to troll me because I like their recruiting content better than ESPN and other sites?

Just very odd you keep baiting me when there was no argument. This isn't 5th grade, guy.

Board exchanges that have occurred today
by Ajax  (2019-01-05 23:58:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have rubbed you wrong no doubt, while you have rubbed me and garbageplate wrong, but in your world that's just not possible. There's no way your posts should rub anybody wrong.

This board has very invested fans- the majority of which are well aware of the circumstances why Burns left. Translation: no explanation needed, it's old news (hence the comparison to Stewart dropping ND).

My gosh, I could scroll back and attach posts/links detailing what you added today about Burns. As I noted, you missed the point that the only real upside for Burns leaving was the slim hope of immediate eligibility.

Here's an exchange with other posters where YOU could not help yourself. You ultimately wore these other posters down. But it's all rationalized when you do this. I particularly was impressed at you pissing on a poster for noting they lost 7 straight last season. Had you added that info, it would have been posting gold in your mind.

Yeah no shot they lose 7 straight... - rsmith18 2019-01-05 14:22:44
Didn't we lose ~7 straight this time last year? * - basicbasket 2019-01-05 14:35:01
Yeah how is that relevant to this year? * - rsmith18 2019-01-05 14:39:41
Well, I'm glad you've decreed it to be so - garbageplate 2019-01-05 14:24:56
Agreed, We aren't very good, develop the team - DomerJon 2019-01-05 15:50:57
Never said we are making NCAA tourney. - rsmith18 2019-01-05 14:29:39
"I don't see it out of the question to get to 9 wins" - garbageplate 2019-01-05 14:30:22
If you look at the schedule it's really not... - rsmith18 2019-01-05 14:36:39
Thanks- yeah, I can read the schedule - garbageplate 2019-01-05 14:47:46
I think this team will improve but it might be too late. - rsmith18 2019-01-05 14:53:00

I said Hubb has to eventually start making shots and your response is “
I predict there will be games where he makes one shot (like Va Tech).”... Really a huge contribution to the conversation.

Yea that contribution was on par with you dismissing a poster for noting a 7 game losing streak last season. Tell me what did that serve? BTW it was humor, because yes EVENTUALLY he will make another shot. IMO a humor reply post is better than a dismissive reply post.

Also interesting, in all our exchanges today less one- you have had the final reply post. That does not even register with you?

Garbageplate has often behaved like a jackass.
by bleedsgreen04  (2019-01-06 11:01:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm fairly certain one only needs to breathe to rub him the wrong way. I'm not getting the same vibes from rsmith that you seem to be, but overall you seem to have good posts back here. My advice to you would be to just use the ignore button and move on... it's served me very well.

I regret sending you a Christmas card *
by garbageplate  (2019-01-06 12:55:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems to be a contest about who knows more
by DBCooper  (2019-01-06 11:24:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

About recruiting. One of the dumber arguments I’ve seen

Board is littered with them between 2 posters
by bbill99  (2019-01-06 22:13:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They should get a room already.

Why don’t we have a like button? Need one for this post *
by Jarman  (2019-01-06 11:21:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My apologies for rubbing you the wrong way.
by rsmith18  (2019-01-06 00:10:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I apologize for rubbing you the wrong way. I hope we can just move on and have normal conversations about ND basketball from

With garbageplate I was discussing the schedule and what it would take to get to 9 wins. I guess I’m a lot more optimistic about this team than others on here but should do a better job of seeing others opinions too. I apologize for that.

Do I need to highlight the posts in which you trolled or pissed on me? I was responding to your post on Burns in a conversational tone as you said “it made zero sense to jump ship” unless he thought the waiver was a given. I was trying to have a civil conversation about it and explore both sides to why he left or should have stayed but instead you respond with a snarky response and tell me to “try to keep up”. You really just can’t help yourself I guess and can’t ever be wrong. Just one example:

I said Hubb has to eventually start making shots and your response is “
I predict there will be games where he makes one shot (like Va Tech).”... Really a huge contribution to the conversation.

I was hoping we could move on and for you to act like an adult but not sure that’s possible. If it is, I’d be happy to leave this beef or whatever is going on behind us and move on. I don’t know if you are having fun with this or whatever but I imagine it’s not fun for the rest of the posters to see two people argue about complete irrelevance and clutter up the board with middle school banter and arguments over semantics. I guess you feel the need to reply to almost every one of my posts with snark or contrarian views but hopefully we can move on and just enjoy this season with relevant input on the team and program.

I apologize if saying Burns wanted more playing time being the reason he left is old news. I didn’t intend for my post to be but your post also questioned why he would leave and maybe he just didn’t want to spend another year dealing with issues with his playing time.