Hubb has some issues with BB fundamentals
by fbirish (2019-01-07 12:47:21)
Edited on 2019-01-07 14:17:46

I counted more than 15 instances against Syracuse that Hubb
caught the ball with the incorrect technique which plays a role
in his ability to get the ball into the shooting pocket correctly.

He often catches the ball with his hands at his waist, the correct
way is to have your hands at the shoulders or above, he also doesn't
extend his hands enough. This can cause a deflection etc. This causes
him to be slow to get in a triple threat position or in shot preparation.

I heard Bob Knight lecture for one hour on this very topic. He is
a true genius on BB fundamentals and beak down drills through which
you teach those fundamentals.

Hubb lacks strength in his lower body and legs but, you are not surprised
when a freshman has that issue.

He needs to shot fake more and get to the lane and find people.

His footwork, shot preparation and his technique for getting the ball
into the shooting pocket are a downright mess.

The good news is it can be corrected but it has to be diagnosed first.

You can tell that missing his senior year or most of it came at a cost.

He's behind the timeline.

Brey discussed this last week
by Kayo  (2019-01-07 18:00:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It has been diagnosed, and they're working on it.

From my experience, the process goes something like this.

1. Work on it, then get into game situations and forget everything you racticed.

2. Start to self correct; but doing it wrong feels normal, and doing it right makes the guy look mechanical and slow because he has to think instead of just doing.

For Hubb's part, he said he needs to get to the basket more. We'll see if he tries against BC. It's a hard thing to start doing against the Syracuse defense.

3. Start to get the hang of it. Still inconsistent, but doing it right doesn't feel so awkward.

4. Do without thinking so damned much.

Anyone who has tried to fix a bad golf or baseball swing knows this process.

For Hubb's part, he said he needs to get into the lane more. Maybe we'll see this on Saturday. It's a hard thing to start doing against the Syracuse zone.

Agreed - this can take a couple seasons too *
by UpperEastSideIrish  (2019-01-09 16:08:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree that he isn't a polished product
by UpperEastSideIrish  (2019-01-07 15:57:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I think we all need to remember where guys like, for example, Demetrius Jackson were. As freshmen, they were practically lost.

He's getting whacked around by the speed of the game. In HS, he probably could just out-athletic other kids - not gunna happen in division 1.

It's going to take time. Many of us always thought this would be a tough year with all the youth anyway. I'm confident Hubb will get it.

I don't disagree
by fbirish  (2019-01-07 17:02:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But be smart, adjust your game.

Get to the lane, the following ensue: layups, free throws and fouls
on the opposition pull ups, kick out threes, offensive rebounds etc. etc

Get the right outcomes for your team simply your game.

FWIW here are Hubb's HS junior stats
by Ajax  (2019-01-07 13:34:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

only shows makes for FG's and 3 point FG's.

He definitely was scoring more inside the 3 point line. 70% FT shooter.

Remember Hubb wasn't the PG at Gonzaga in his junior year,
by fbirish  (2019-01-07 14:05:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chris Leaks of Miami was.

It is a bit unusual to be the "2" or at the the very least a combo
guard in HS and a starting PG in your freshman year in the ACC

FWIW Chris Thomas was not the PG for Indy Pike
by Ajax  (2019-01-08 14:58:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his senior year. I was at the SC game (buddy of mine went to Penn) and took note of that. IIRC Keith Borgan was the PG and Thomas played off the ball. With that said, Thomas still handled the ball quite a bit and that was probably the case for Hubb as a junior alongside Chris Lykes.

Fair point.
by rsmith18  (2019-01-07 16:28:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chris Lykes and Hubb both played point but Hubb played majority of his time at the 2 as a "combo guard". Based on highlights, it looks like he was way more comfortable with catch and shoot shots than he's shown thus far at ND. Brey actually mentioned last week that Hubb has shot 39% from threes in practice FWIW but I believe Djogo by all reports is a great shooter in practice as well... Maybe it just takes time to translate for some guys.

My math could be wrong but from the link Ajax posted, Hubb averaged around 14 PPG, 5 RPG, and 3 APG so I don't know if he's ever really been that great of a passing guard.

As much as Hubb is struggling with his jumper, it seems like the shot selection isn't too great either. He needs to drive it a lot more and I believe he can because of his athletic ability... Far too many of his shots are coming from behind the line and too many ISO and step back threes.

Link below shows AAU highlights

Is it fair to expect him to score points at this level?
by The Beef  (2019-01-08 12:52:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Reading the above, if he only averaged 14 points per game in HS, what makes anyone think he's be a scoring contributor at this level, especially at the beginning of his career? Those stats posted above look pretty pedestrian for a HS stud.

Fairly sure he played on a HS team
by Ajax  (2019-01-08 13:22:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With 4 or 5 D1 players.

IIRC Grant and Oladipo had modest scoring stats at Dematha.

Top players from loaded high school or prep school teams often average more ppg on college.

Also, no shot clock and shorter games.

Hubb
by Drew  (2019-01-09 14:05:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gonzaga has a great program. Plays extremely tough schedule. Their lineup is usually filled with D-1 recruits. Hubb was very well respected. My Gonzaga friends are extremely surprised at his shot disappearance. By the way, I believe the league Gonzaga plays in, WCAC, does have a shot clock but you are right that the WCA scores are typically lower than expected when playing each other.

His role has to be clearly defined
by fbirish  (2019-01-08 14:01:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

clearly Brey has been very successful and knows
his profession.

But Hubb has a lot to prove. Get some dribble penetration
and find teammates.

He is taking too many threes given his results.

Guard, penetrate and make your team better.

Do you think he should be getting as many minutes?
by 2ndstreeter  (2019-01-07 13:26:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not positive what the right number is, but I believe his OTJT is hard for the team to compensate for.

That's part of ND's problem especially with Rex hurt
by fbirish  (2019-01-07 14:11:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are not a lot of options.

You can play Gibbs more as the PG and Hubb off the ball.

There really are so many problems presently.

If I were Brey I would challenge Hubb to get 6 to 7 assists a game
and make him and others take a lot of free throws after practice, a lot.

Get in the lane more, shoot fewer threes.

Moving Gibbs to point takes away your best scorer
by btd  (2019-01-07 19:45:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's our issue and why Brey has Hubb playing point to begin with. ND is struggling to field a team with even 3 consistent scorers right now. Gibbs is one of them -- for better or worse. Move him to point and that drops his scoring probably by 40% and the person that comes in to replace him isn't much of a scorer. So its not like you take 15ppg + 4 ppg and change that to new guard at 10ppg and Gibbs at 15 ppg. You probably drop a few points in that move.

I don't see a lot of options beyond telling Hubb to shoot less 3 point shots and drive more to try and limit the effective turnovers from him whereby any 3 pt shot is a defacto turnover.

Gibbs at point guard will still look to shoot and score
by Ajax  (2019-01-08 13:19:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We saw it last year when Farrell was injured.

Gibbs is a shoot first PG who can take and make treys.

His minutes need to be developmental minutes. He has not
by Tim Kelley  (2019-01-07 13:51:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

been consistently impressive even for a freshman PG. Other than defense at times, he hasn’t really demonstrated any strengths. He needs a lot of work and good coaching.

Agreed
by bobnd80  (2019-01-09 15:23:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there is no reason in my opinion that Djogo couldn't take some of Hubb's minutes. While Djogo didn't shoot well last season, his height and athleticism helped ND stay in some games when we were very shorthanded. He has some experience in big games (12 points against North Carolina) and would give Hubb some time to develop without completing losing confidence.