Strategy from last night's Oregon-UCLA game.
by Carlos Huerta (2019-01-11 08:45:13)
Edited on 2019-01-11 08:46:47

With three seconds left Oregon hits their first free throw to go up two points. UCLA has no timeouts left. Do you:

1. Tell your player to miss the second free throw ala the Duke/Butler title game.

2. Have him make it then try to foul immediately on the inbound.

3. Have him make it and play defense.

Oregon went with option 2 and UCLA was able to tie the game with a made FT, intentional miss and put back layup (I assume Mike Stuart wasn't reffing as it looked like they let an arc violation go). They actually got fouled on the layup and could have won the game in regulation but the kid missed. UCLA won in OT.

other option
by ndnyc1993  (2019-01-11 14:49:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Once UCLA had cut it to 2 and was missing FT intentionally, Oregon could have committed a lane violation on each attempt until UCLA made one, then Oregon gets ball back up by 1.

I could be wrong but I thought there is some kind of broad
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-01-11 15:38:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

rule that would allow the ref to issue a technical in a case like that. Something along the lines of an "unsportsmanlike conduct". Though that is an interesting thought as I'm sure they could do it a few times before it would become obvious that it was intentional.

You could be right
by Ndnyc1993  (2019-01-11 16:57:12)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I also read that if the shooting team also commits a violation, including not hitting the rim, the ball goes to the possession arrow so you probably wouldn’t do this unless you had the arrow.

#3. Make them hit a contested, running three to tie
by NDTommie  (2019-01-11 08:54:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

versus an offensive rebound and a tip in with a 7 footer. However, if there was under two seconds left I would go with #1. 3 seconds and change is enough time to get an outlet pass and a decent look at a win.

I would agree with this.
by chicos bail bonds  (2019-01-11 10:40:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The key is being smart about how to defend the inbounds pass after the made free throw. Don't allow anyone to catch the ball with momentum going towards the basket they are shooting at.

If I had a timeout to set it up which I believe Oregon did
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-01-11 10:09:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd probably go with option one as you should be able to take away the quick outlet pass. Of course there is always the risk that the FT shooter messes up and doesn't hit the rim which puts you in a bad spot. I don't like the fouling option, especially with how it played out in this game as UCLA caught the ball very deep in their back court and there was no way they were gonna get any kind of good look.