Honestly, this team is terrible
by DonMattingly (2019-02-06 21:13:55)

Worst offensive team under Brey
-No inside game. No one can play with their back to the basket to play inside out
-No ball movement, lots of dribbling and lots of standing around
-Horrible shooting-taking deep contested shots

Even with a year, this is a bubble team at best

bubble team for NIT maybe. Will be a lower level ACC
by pjnuge  (2019-02-07 07:32:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

team for forseeable future. Would also be a lower level Big East team too.

"Foreseeable future"?? *
by El Kabong  (2019-02-07 09:41:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes 2-3 years. How is recruiting going btw?
by pjnuge  (2019-02-07 10:53:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Doubt it is going very well. While the fresh will likely get better how much better can they really get and how much worse can Gibbs get? Do we have any possible recruits that can make a difference?

So you're a casual fan
by HTownND  (2019-02-07 12:57:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who's pissed all of a sudden.

Good to know.

So let me get this straight
by El Kabong  (2019-02-07 11:06:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Senior leader and the best player in the frosh recruiting class on the shelf with injuries, you have no idea how "recruiting is going", and yet ND will be a bottom-feeder "for the foreseeable future", which for you is two years.

IMO it is extremely debatable Carmody
by Ajax  (2019-02-07 11:32:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is the best player in the frosh class, particularly based on what we saw in limited action. Hubb was regarded as the most important recruit and Lasz was the highest rated.

I'll say this
by SECTION 12  (2019-02-07 12:45:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he's the most athletic and hardnosed of the bunch and both of these attributes are in short supply.

Good news — everyone is back next year
by Oggie  (2019-02-06 23:12:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or is that the bad news?

Program is back to one of its lowest points under MB, and this just 3 years after E8s. Hard to fathom.

poor recruiting,litttle athleticsm. Wish I was surprised. *
by pjnuge  (2019-02-07 07:35:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's frustrating that this keeps getting repeated
by bmoreirish  (2019-02-07 08:58:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

These are, collectively, the highest ranked recruits that Brey has had.

how about the 2-3 seasons before this?
by pjnuge  (2019-02-07 09:49:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Besides Mooney who Brey lucked into are there any really good players in that group? There is at least 1 guy who is barely MAC level. And not taking more than 1 in a year is a mistake. Harvey could have been good, we will never know. As for the players in this class I suspect they were all rated too high (except maybe Goodwin). The fact that this team is frankly uncompetative in the ACC, slow, and unathletic (most noticeable on defense) proves my point I think. And to have a team that is this poor at shooting to lose a player like Matt Ryan was inexcusable.

you do realize that Matt Ryan's best shooting games
by Ajax  (2019-02-07 14:43:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for ND were versus garbage competition?

Included 3 Top 100 players
by bmoreirish  (2019-02-07 14:16:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bringing the total on this team to 8 (including Durham). 2 of them are injured.

I agree that it would be preferable for the classes to be more balanced in terms of numbers. However, I disagree with your point about being unathletic, they are just young and haven't picked up the speed of the game yet.

Brey has had two classes similar in numbers and star rating to this one: 2013 (Jackson, Vasturia, Beachem) and 2005 (McAlarney, Zeller, Ayers, Hillesland). Those guys won a lot of games. As freshmen the '05 group went 15-13, then 24-7, 25-8, and 21-15. The '13 group went 15-17, 32-6, 24-12, and 26-10. I'm not saying this is a sure thing, but there is enough evidence to believe that Brey will get them pointed in the right direction. This year is more painful than I would have hoped, but I don't buy the despair or the lack of talent. I would also point out that some of the best players Brey has had (like Harangody, Cooley, and Colson) were not his top rated recruits.

Keep in mind, Matt Ryan most likely left because he didn't see a path to a starting job. Obviously things change with injuries, but I don't think he would change the record of this team much.

Comparing the 2013 class
by ronniewoo  (2019-02-07 15:39:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You make a good point that there was tremendous improvement after a very poor freshman season for that group. One big difference from that class to this years freshman class is the quality of the surrounding classes. The 2012 class had 3 commits and was ranked 30th in the country and the 2014 class had 3 commits and was ranked 55th nationally. Compare that to the 2017 one man class ranked 106th and what is likely to be a complete miss or another lowly ranked one person class.

I am guardedly optimistic about the development of this years class but there is absolutely no excuse for such terrible balance in recruiting years. It inevitably leads to gap years where the team just can't compete in the ACC.

Gibbs, Pfleuger, and Harvey were all rated far higher...
by ndroman21  (2019-02-07 11:36:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...than Mooney.

Deciding players were overrated before they've finished their freshman season is shortsighted, to say the least. Except for a select few, college basketball players generally see the court sparingly their first year.

We don't have that luxury this year.

Teams look un-athletic when they're inexperienced. They're thinking, not playing.

How come we never maximize our scholarship allotment?
by Wolfetone  (2019-02-07 10:19:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This way if there are injuries or players tip, we can better handle
the storm.

He’s said his ideal number is twelve. And I assume he
by beancounter  (2019-02-07 11:10:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

doesn’t plan on transfers, so twelve can become eleven quickly

I wonder how many (high major) teams carry thirteen. A couple years ago we heard about nothing else other than Duke only having eight scholarship players. I’d guess that most teams don’t have thirteen high major caliber players. College basketball teams will always be vulnerable to injuries, as Kansas and Michigan State have shown us this year.

(This is not meant as a defense of anything.)

It seems Brey doesn't like to many players all expecting PT
by pjnuge  (2019-02-07 10:49:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with your sentiments. I also think Brey doesn't enjoy recruiting very much. Therefore less scholarships used less work that needs to go into recruiting.

I agree with your first statement
by Ajax  (2019-02-07 13:07:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and referenced that in another post. He's not going to have the inexperience excuse next season in terms of playing a lot of guys.

Your recruiting statement IMO is a major reach

Wow
by El Kabong  (2019-02-07 11:06:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You have such little info about "how recruiting is going" that you have to ask about it, and yet you're positive Brey "doesn't like doing it".

Ok.

no, i am not positive, I gave my opinion and would love
by pjnuge  (2019-02-07 11:53:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to be wrong. So how is recruiting going? I saw a while back most "experts" see a kid likely Jaden Ivey going to Purdue. Do you have any insight?

Shouldn't opinions be based on facts?
by El Kabong  (2019-02-07 12:45:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course people are entitled to opinions, but you should be able to back them up when asked.

Making sweeping statements with no facts behind them, then asking me for facts when I point that out to you, is a waste of everyone's time.

I can stomach the bad shooting when it is in the offense.
by OITLinebacker  (2019-02-06 22:12:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What gets me upset is the lack of accountability on the team. Nobody is getting pulled for taking dumb shots outside the flow of the offense. Nobody is getting pulled for lack of hustle for a loose ball or an easy rebound. Teachable moments are being left out on the floor. The loosest coach needs to tighten the reigns a bit. The lack of hustle and effort is very unnerving.

I think this is more about players being overplayed.
by GreenManorite  (2019-02-06 23:41:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Several players are in for more minutes than I think is optimal. In a game like today, there is really no one to go to. Mooney can't play 30-35 minutes consistently, Gibbs can probably play the volume but doesn't really deserve it; same with Hubb and Djogo. The rest of the team is either freshman or injured and really should be contributing 15 minutes max. If people were all playing "optimal" minutes we wouldn't get to 200 minutes. Instead we have tired worn out players.

If we had Rex, Hubb, Gibbs and Harvey would all about roughly 10 minutes fewer. I feel like that would help the energy and flow.

the flip side of this
by Ajax  (2019-02-07 00:06:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is Brey was lamenting early in the season he had too many options.

It does not seem like he is comfortable in maximizing depth- such as demanding his players in all classes to play smarter and harder. It does not appear the loose approach is working as well with this current roster.

There were so many 50/50 balls tonight where ND was not even close and they had 9 active SS players compared to Miami with 7.

Next season Brey will have 8 players with at least 500 ND career minutes played (plus Durham in his 3rd season in the program and Carmody). All 11 roster players will be in at least their second season- with 4 in at least their 4th.

I am quite sure in terms of career minutes Brey will never have had a roster with this many.

Mooney had ample rest tonight *
by Scoop80  (2019-02-06 23:57:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think your 3rd comments is a result of the 2nd
by pmoose  (2019-02-06 21:51:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They don't space well, which impacts ball movement, which leads to lots of dribbling, which leads to settling for bad and contested long-range shots towards the end of the shot clock. As the game progresses and there has been very few open looks, they are settling for uncontested longer-range shots.

They will get better, especially as Hubb grows more consistent and comfortable. How much better? Not sure, and you might be right on being a bubble team even next year. Problem is that right now it appears as if Hubb's and DJ's game doesn't quite fit well with everyone else's on the team.

Watch out. *
by Cm_4_nd  (2019-02-06 21:21:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice try. You still don't get it. *
by Lloyd Braun  (2019-02-06 21:55:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whoosh.
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-02-06 21:42:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looks like someone didn't learn what was objectionable.

Noting that this year’s team is struggling....
by ndroman21  (2019-02-06 21:37:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...is not what caused the lack of respect you were shown.

Playing the victim isn’t going to make it any better.

And a very poor defensive team too *
by sjdomer  (2019-02-06 21:19:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post