Kayo and Taxman: can you provide a public service
by ocdomer78 (2019-02-06 22:04:45)

and talk us down from the ledge about this team?

Honestly, i know the freshmen in particular and the team overall will get better, but it is hard to see the progress in anyone right now. and Harvey and Gibbs are showing very little for guys with significant game time under their belts.

we got blown out by an awful team tonight.

Think of each young player's best three games this season
by Kayo  (2019-02-07 22:05:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and imagine seeing that consistently next season from all of them. I'm talking about Hubb, Goodwin, Laszewski, and Durham.

Harvey has played a few really good games, too; but his junior season success or lack thereof is tied to health. Carmody won't be starting from scratch, but he won't be building off of this season either so we'll have to see about him.

I'll do a little research on that and make it into an article, probably for Saturday posting.

I disagree about Harvey
by The Beef  (2019-02-10 11:10:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think his success, while dependent upon health to a certain extent, will hinge on his willingness to put forth a strong effort in the off-season and on the floor during the season. Maybe I’m missing something, but he looks disinterested most of the time. His lack of hustle is infuriating. His disappears for long periods of time, especially in second halves. He bogs down the offense. He plays poor defense and he rebounds sporadically. That is hard to take from your most talented player.

Maybe the light will go on, at some point. I hope it is soon.

Dont forget Djogo
by Bobnd80  (2019-02-08 08:49:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He has the same amount of eligibility as Harvey and Durham. And his best game was the best of the three especially given the short rope Brey has with him compared to Harvey.

I've been extraordinarily busy the last 48 hours
by Kayo  (2019-02-07 16:27:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll work on it later, but I have to teach class from 6:00 until 8:45.

Keep reminding myself of 2 things
by Orange_Irish  (2019-02-07 09:31:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1) Frosh don't typically play for a reason, and we're seeing why. Remember how big the jumps were among Grant, DJ, Pat C, Kurz, Carroll etc. Frosh who make an impact right away - like Tory Jackson or Luke Harangody are the exception. That said, I already feel like the ball movement is night and day for the frosh vs. where it was at the beginning of the year; and all of the frosh have shown flashes.

2)this is the time of year, when young guys start to hit the wall.

My primary negative takeaway thus far is that I don't feel like Brey has a long-term strategy in terms of how he builds his team for sustained success with how unbalanced the recruiting is.

I think part of the problem is not having leaders
by 2ndstreeter  (2019-02-07 07:29:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This team really doesn’t have an identity or glue players other than Mooney. Without an experienced guy like Rex it becomes a team of streaky production on offense and defense with poor decision making mixed in. Different players have had good games showing they have the capability to produce, but there is no consistency at this point.

Given Brey’s track record I’m hopeful for the future while realizing this season is just going to be painful and hard to endure at times.

That’s the one thing that makes sense to me
by pmoose  (2019-02-07 18:24:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rex is the guy who was holding guys accountable this season. His injury and time at home for recovery left a void that was never filled. Mooney is a tough player, but it doesn’t appear his teammates are responding to him. Gibbs just seems lost and needs to hold himself accountable before taking teammates to task. Hopefully a freshman can become a decent leader as a sophomore.

"this team" beat Purdue in Indy
by NDMike2001  (2019-02-07 07:08:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Having Rex obviously makes/made a big difference. So does making shots. That's obvious, but in the 10-15 minutes Notre Dame looked decent. They made their first three shots from three, and even though they were cold after that, they were getting good looks. The shots just didn't fall. I actually missed the last few minutes of the first half, so I'm not sure when the wheels really started to fall off. But it was shortly into the 2nd half for me.

There wasn't much of a commitment to playing defense and they started taking poor shots. About halfway into the second half ND had an easy transition. Hubb just had to pass to the player(?) breaking down the middle of the court. Instead he looked like he was trying to take a pull up three and lost the ball.

Right now I think Hubb and Gibbs know that they will get 30 minutes out of necessity no matter how they play. The addition of Carmody and Rex should give them more incentive to be mindful of shot selection and team play. Unfortunately, the flip side is that it's going to be another rough patch trying to figure out how to get those guys to gel. Perhaps they can do a preseason trip/tournament to get things going. But it's still a major project.

Can we get away playing Gibbs/Hubb off the bench?
by GreenManorite  (2019-02-07 11:01:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both guys would benefit from having an assistant coach watching the game with them.

Gibb's needs to sit with an assistant coach?
by ronniewoo  (2019-02-07 12:18:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's 75% through his junior year. If he needs to sit with an assistant coach to understand the game something is really wrong with his development.

Something is wrong with his development.
by GreenManorite  (2019-02-07 16:03:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretending there isn't an issue won't improve anything.

It should be noted Harvey does not have much more...
by revressbo  (2019-02-07 02:01:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“significant game time” than the freshmen. He played in only 19 games last year and played more than 25 minutes in only three of them. And whatever “advantage” he gained from that over the freshmen was probably roughly cancelled out by not being able to practice/scrimmage at all this summer.

But as for your overall point, I, too, am starting to feel a little nervous about the future (although thinking back to 13-14 helps me feel better). And the Gibbs regression is absolutely bizarre.

I hope his development hasn't been hurt by playing this year
by NDTommie  (2019-02-07 09:20:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is obviously a thought with 20/20 hindsight, but it's clear that Harvey is not 100%. It's a bummer that our rotation became so thin because I think he might have been better off continuing to rehab and build strength this year to come back for next year. Or at least later in this year. The best thing for his future would be to get this year over with as soon as possible so he can focus on his rehab again.

Honest question: if this as good as it gets for Harvey
by Ajax  (2019-02-07 11:37:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meaning the injury has permanently diminished his well regarded skills, should he be starting next season (he gets the benefit of the doubt this season). This is an extreme example, but I remember Gary Bell was a highly regarded recruit and due to back issues was done. When Harvey could not turn the corner on Sam Waardenburg and was bailed out, it reminded of Folston post injury. There are at least 20 wings in the ACC that would have made it easily to the basket in that match up.

Not hard to predict. Polar vortex. .500 team. South Beach. *
by athlete37  (2019-02-06 22:50:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post