there's a lot to be concerned about....
by circuslunch (2019-02-07 09:21:28)

But sometimes games like last night are needed to hit the reset button. Maybe we finally hit bottom?

Most upsetting thing to me is lack of hustle. Too many loose rebounds that we weren't getting after. I hate seeing that. Seemed to clearly give up last 10 mins of the game.

I have no doubt Brey will turn it around. I still have high hopes for the next couple years. Too much talent on this team. Lacks a true leader right now. That guy needs to emerge.

My worry is that we're setting ourselves up for
by combodraw  (2019-02-07 13:35:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

two years on and two years off given the unbalanced recruiting.

After the E8s and new practice facility, rebuilding/NIT years should be few and far between. Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I envisioned NCAA tournament 10 seed type of teams as our "downside" with the first E8 team (a legit contender albeit not a favorite) as our upside.

I look forward to seeing these kids get older and having a fun team to follow again but this year has just really sucked. Seasons like this (following an NIT year to boot) are just demoralizing and I have to imagine that it's not going to make it easier for us to recruit the next group of kids.

I really like the way UVA has managed to build a consistent program despite not being a traditional basketball powerhouse. Are their academic restrictions that much looser than ours?

A few thoughts about Bennett's roster management...
by 73CAV  (2019-02-07 20:22:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For the most part, Bennett has had unbalanced recruiting efforts, too. Much of the success of the past six years has been based on the 2012 recruiting class (Tobey, Anderson, Nolte, & transfer Gill) and the 2016 class (Guy, Jerome, Hunter, Diakite, & Huff, although Diakite reclassified and entered early). Hopefully, 2020 will be another of those classes. Probably, more significant has been Bennett's use of the redshirt. Every front court player on this year's team has redshirted with the exception of Key, and he already had two years of Div 1 experience. There have been a variety of reasons for the redshirts, but the impact remains. I am not convinced that academics are significantly different between Virginia and Notre Dame. While some majors are less demanding than others, none are really 'jock' friendly. Athletes still have to compete in the classroom with a talented general student body. Admitting players who cannot stay eligible is counter productive, IMO. Virginia does have five foreign players on the roster, but it's worth noting that two of them, Diakite and Badocchi, played their prep ball in the US. Just a few things to consider.

One thing stood out to me looking at UVA's roster when
by bleedsgreen04  (2019-02-07 15:11:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was at the game: they have a lot of international players on their roster. Bennett has never really lit up the college basketball scene with elite recruits, but IMO he's able to get such consistent results from his players because he's gotten creative with where he draws his talent pool from. Perhaps it's something Brey should look into going forward, we've had a few international kids on the roster (Katenda, Geben and now Djogo come to mind in recent memory) but not to the extent that UVA features this year.

Bennett is an incredible coach. Virginia was -42 in ACC play
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-02-07 14:16:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the 20 years before Bennett's arrival. In almost ten years with him they're +68. They've won the ACC regular season outright four times in program history, Bennett has three of them.

Bennett was +10 in conference at Wash St. If you take the ten years before him and now almost ten since he left they are -176. In only three seasons he has two of the program's six NCAA berths and three of their six tourney wins.

No disrespect to Brey but I believe Virginia has a decisive edge over ND at the head coach position.

I did the research on this once...
by ndroman21  (2019-02-07 13:52:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and the number of teams who NEVER suffer a year where they miss the tournament is very small and pretty much limited to blueblood programs.

I think UVA/Bennett is a special case, and I wonder about their programs' upside. They've been a consistent 1 or 2 seed for 5 years or so and have 2 Sweet Sixteens and 1 Elite eight to show for it.

I can't imagine the uproar around ND basketball circles if ND had managed to become the first 1 seed to ever lose to a 16 seed. We lost to a 10 as a 2 and twice as a 7 and there were calls for Brey's head for poor tourney performance.

Agree that NEVER missing the tournament is unrealistic
by combodraw  (2019-02-07 14:26:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but this will be the third time in six years missing the tournament. Yes, there's some awful bad luck in there (and two E8s in between!), but it's not like next year's team is a stone cold lock to get in either.

I think we need to hope that next year's team really turns a corner, leads to ND hoops being good/relevant for 3 years and we're able to turn that into consistent recruiting this time around.

I really hate being negative as Brey's teams have given me so much joy and great moments over the years but it's hard not to be demoralized at the current state of things.

2d half was a total disaster--Miami's opening run...
by Scoop80  (2019-02-07 10:00:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

created a gap that ND never really closed. Mooney and Gibbs had 2 pts combined in 2d half, and I had left (w/ about 4:00 left) before Gibbs scored.

A team that was able to compete for 37 mins before a full house @ UNC competed for only 20 mins before a HS-sized "crowd" at Miami. Maybe they are hitting a proverbial wall. It was a discouraging night all the way around.

I didn't get to watch, but seems like the disaster started..
by ndroman21  (2019-02-07 11:08:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...earlier when I look at the game flow.

We score 13 points in the first 4 minutes of the game and led by 9.

We scored 10 points over the next 16 minutes. That's almost hard to do.

Worst part about that hot start was coming out off timeout
by OITLinebacker  (2019-02-07 16:26:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coming out of the TV timeout Brey had changed up the lineup, taking out some of the players responsible for part of that burst and tinkering with something that was working. Then it got worse because he let that group of players out there floundering for perhaps a possession or two too long. After that it seemed like everyone was sleepwalking out there. The offense didn't move much, there didn't seem to be any plays called other than stand around the 3 point line and chuck it up. The shooting was almost comically bad as guys were even missing bunny put backs (the few times they actually go them).

The hot start made it even worse
by Dudd  (2019-02-07 14:18:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So I don't know about you, but coming off a win against BC and starting out shooting lights out to start the game, I was thinking all right, maybe we're starting to turn the corner on this season a bit, claw our way back to 7 or 8 wins if we're lucky. Then the next 36 minutes happened of just putrid basketball

Despite the offensive drought after the 13-4 start, I ...
by Scoop80  (2019-02-07 12:43:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

still felt that Irish had a halfway decent shot down 28-23 at half (da U's last-second dunk and the momentum it generated for them diminished my hopes). After Miami's opening run (think it was 6-0) in 2d half, whatever energy ND brought visibly seemed to ebb. Mooney essentially disappeared in 2d half.

I didn't decide to go until the last minute, and I wouldn't have bothered to attend had I known that the Irish would barely show up.

ND closed to 34-28
by Ajax  (2019-02-07 12:57:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but other than that, putrid.