Some Cole Anthony speculation
by DBCooper (2019-02-07 14:14:46)

not good for ND

I guess, it's good to be consistently mentioned
by crazymary  (2019-02-07 16:08:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in a 5-star type recruitment but never really understood all the excitement around this one in this particular situation/specific situation ND is currently in. This kid would help ND for a season, simply just a short-term quick gain. Nothing that would be long-lasting. ND isn't an Anthony away from being a Final Four type team, a kid like this isn't necessarily great for Brey in trying to build and teach the ND culture to these young guys. How we play every night etc.

In fact, he's likely going to set back the development of the younger kids on the roster. They are likely to defer to him offensively and not sure that's uber capatible with what we're used to seeing from Brey's good offensive rosters. It should also be noted that I'm not positive his current style-of-play is really "easy" to play alongside, there's been high-level HS kids mention he's a very good kid but lot of times their games don't necessarily mesh well together. Tough for some to play alongside if that makes sense. Absolutely not knocking his attitude or him as a kid, just that some styles are really tough to fit together.

I could see him being a big difference maker and pushing an already really good team over-the-top to make a Final Four. Don't really see him as being a big long-term push forward for ND, other than being able to say he landed another 5-star guard etc.

Obviously, landing a goose egg in a class is a huge issue though too.

Who thought ND was Jerian Grant away from being a Final Four
by tdiddy07  (2019-02-08 17:25:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

caliber team after being a 15-17 (6-12) team? That season a heralded freshman who was overwhelmed at the college level also blossomed as a second-year player, a big man stepped into his own, and other players continued to improve and step into leadership roles.

Given the youth of this team, I could see a big improvement next year even without Anthony. But I understand why Anthony would see other situations as more attractive.

Although Im sure you are right and he is a 1 and done
by DBCooper  (2019-02-07 16:56:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if there ever was a top 3 prospect who might decide to stay for 2 years it could be him.

Obviously his family has money
Seems to be a different breed than normal top recruits
It appears Greg A came to ND about Cole. Clearly Greg knows ND is not a one and done type of program.
I put it at 5% chance he is in college as a sophomore, but thats 4% higher than all other top 3 recruits

the same logic for Stewart as well
by Ajax  (2019-02-07 16:40:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or is he not a for sure one and done?

Brey needs a 6'5 or 6'6 guy that is either a great athlete or shooter and preferably both. You can find those and they are not automatic one and dones.

Rex is neither
DJ is neither
Djogo is neither
Goodwin is neither- though I believe his shooting will be very good.

So they were positive it was UNC and now not positive
by El Kabong  (2019-02-07 14:42:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ergo, I'm going to take what they say with a grain of salt. They don't know any more than anyone else.

Unlike a lot of other recruits, the Anthonys have kept all this very close to the vest.