How good is Carmody?
by rsmith18 (2019-02-07 23:07:45)

I know he was rated as the 2nd best recruit in this freshman class by the majority of recruiting services but what exactly can we expect from him next season? I know he looks pretty damn athletic and an energy guy but is he a good shooter? driver? creating his own shot?

I'm wondering if any of you guys on the board were able to see him in summer workouts or practices or what not and would be able to comment on his play.

We could certainly use another guy this year.

A slightly shorter version of Doug McDermott? *
by Irish72  (2019-02-09 15:47:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Doug McDermott averaged 29 min as a freshman, shooting
by tdiddy07  (2019-02-11 13:26:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

.525 with .405 from 3 and 7.2 rebounds per game. In 9 games, Carmody logged 10 min a game shooting .324 with .091 from 3 with 1.7 rebounds per game.

It just isn't that hard to compare white athletes as some people make it out to be.

I'm not sure what I dislike more about your post...
by Norm  (2019-02-11 21:43:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The ridiculous use of statistics and readily available information

OR

The fact you add the gratuitous "white" into the equation.

Fair.
by tdiddy07  (2019-02-12 11:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Left-handed basketball players always remind people only of the most readily identifiable left-handed basketball players. And black quarterbacks remind people only of the most readily identifiable black quarterbacks.

I assume you are railing against the easy comparison idea...
by Norm  (2019-02-12 14:22:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I assume first the person is honest (especially if 72 grad or thereabouts) and would ask why they thought that if you thought the comparison is weak. I actually thought the comparison was at least "fair". Before his injury Carmody showed solid athleticism (solid vertical and speed), a willingness to mix it up, some "edge" and most of that describes Doug McDermott, while Carmody obviously not as tall.

I assumed your first post was sarcastic.
by Tdiddy07  (2019-02-12 15:46:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Given that I don’t know who would have a problem with using easily identifiable statistics to make a point.

Oh no...
by Norm  (2019-02-12 19:08:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the stats you used while valid in calculations (anyone with a spreadsheet or calculator can do that or lookup and see which bigger), were not valid in any way statistically or intellectually.

Statistical basic - Carmody = 9 games way too small a sample size on its own to hold ANY validity, compound that by knowing RC had an injured SHOULDER (which obviously affects scoring - only stats you included) and clearly hampered him in multiple games. That's also not factoring in minutes played, competition, etc. NOTE: I'm not saying RC will be as good, but original question asked for a comparison. A shorter DM a valid comparison, but not perfect one - no comp is perfect.

Because you like to compare simple numbers, what would these tell you?

Carmody averaged 31.1 points 14.1 rebounds per game as Senior in HS.
McDermott averaged 20.1 points and 7.8 rebounds per game as Senior in HS.

I do not think those HS stats say Carmody clearly better. My point is simply be intelligent when commenting and look at "whole picture" not one narrow aspect with no validity and also avoid bringing race into something it unless absolutely necessary no make valid point.

If so this ND team is making a Final Four *
by rsmith18  (2019-02-10 17:57:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Out of the freshman class...
by BigNDfan  (2019-02-08 12:16:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's the 2nd most athletic to Hubb. He obviously can jump higher than Hubb. He reminds me of Ben Hansborough. He doesn't shoot as well from outside though.

In the few games/minutes he played, he showed that he
by Jarman  (2019-02-08 13:53:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

prefers to put the ball on the floor and drive rather than shoot jump shots. It was obviously very early in his college career; and (if I remember correctly) many these were blocked (shades of Derek Manor). But he likely will improve over the next couple of years.

He's already better than Derek Manner...
by BigNDfan  (2019-02-08 15:32:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he'll have a really good career.

It will be interesting if his college career is as good as
by Ajax  (2019-02-08 13:21:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this guy.

Ranked #245 by 247 in 2018. A big time athlete as seen by his dunk videos.

Put up 38 points in an OOC game and 24 versus Marquette and 25 at St.Johns.

Like Carmody his 3 point shooting is an area for major improvement.

Georgetown has a shot to be the 3rd place team in the Big East- they are very respectable despite starting 3 freshman (ranked 90, 123 & 245 by 247). They lose after this season a very solid big man, but replace him with Yurtseven from NC State.

He is a much different player then McClung
by JBrock18  (2019-02-11 12:25:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His HS gym is a long par 5 from my house. I saw both he and Jurkovec play a ton in HS. Phil's HS is about 5 minutes away as well. Robby is bigger and in HS was more of a spot up shooter than one who was able to shoot off the dribble like McClung. Robby is probably a better finisher inside because of his size too and when he does put it on the floor he usually takes it all the way to the hoop. He isn't the ball handler McClung is but, he wont need to be given the position he will play at ND. For a guard Robby rebounded really well in HS. He is a good leaper and seemed willing to go get boards too. I'm sure being 6-4 to 6-5 helped but I think he can duplicate that at ND. He is a confident player, but also one who at times lets his emotions get the best of him. He has a lot of Grayson Allen in him in that regard and will need to mature to reach his full potential. McClung will probably put up consistently larger numbers just because he will handle the ball a lot more over his career, but Carmody should provide consistent double figures scoring from the wing once he gets his chance.

I don’t know, but we need him to bring grit to this tea
by DonMattingly  (2019-02-08 08:29:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope he brings a sense of toughness / grit to this team. A lunch pail guy who fights for everything. This team seems to be missing that toughness.