Has there ever been a worse coaching change in men's BB
by Raoul (2019-02-11 15:25:06)

Than firing Rick Barnes and hiring Shaka Smart? Looks especially stupid today. Whoever made that move should be fired.

This is unbelievable
by Ajax  (2019-02-15 02:46:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Barnes has this team ranked No. 1.🍊

Recruiting Rankings:
DJ Burns-108
Yves Pons-127
Lamonte Turner-144
Jalen Johnson-147
Jordan Bone-171
Grant Williams-191
Zach Kent-203
John Fulkerson-238
Admiral Schofield-251
Jordan Bowden-262
Derrick Walker-270
Kyle Alexander-362

Pitt
by tb-sb  (2019-02-13 14:31:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Firing Jamie Dixon to hire Stallings was worse.
Even if you say that Dixon, like Barnes, was not improving the team, the hire was far worse.

Stallings had not improved Vandy in a long time and had never shown any" greatness." There was no plausible reason to believe he could do better than Dixon. At least Smart had that Final 4 run and was the "hot" choice that yearner nearly every opening. He may have been a flash in the pan, but he had more flash than Stallings ever did.

He was fired. Like 6 months later.
by FL_Irish  (2019-02-12 21:48:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And was almost universally reviled.

I'd take Shaka Smart over Billy Gillespie.
by NDMike2001  (2019-02-12 09:49:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Especially at Kentucky. I suspect that he'd be rather successful there.

So you want to get smart? *
by drmurray  (2019-02-12 10:23:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lesser extent: BC firing Al Skinner & his successors *
by Ajax  (2019-02-11 21:56:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jamie Dixon leaving Pitt
by Tex Francisco  (2019-02-12 08:34:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know he wasn't fired by Pitt, but my understanding is that the fans were getting tired of him and thought a change was needed to get them to the next level.

what happened today? *
by NDWahoo  (2019-02-11 18:30:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was a move just about any AD would've made at the time.
by mocopdx  (2019-02-11 18:09:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That it didn't work out the way they wanted didn't make it a bad move at the time.

Shaka was coming off a good tenure at VCU with strong tourney performance as a mid major. He was seen as one of the rising stars of the CBB coaching world.

Barnes hadn't made the Sweet 16 in ten years when they canned him. He was averaging 14+ losses over his last four years.

What Barnes is doing at Tennessee is one of the more surprising performances in college sports. Ditto for Shaka's struggles at Texas.

UT-K is lucky to have him
by ThreeD  (2019-02-12 10:09:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whether it was right or not is tough to judge as an outsider. My familiarity with both UTs (Austin and Knoxville) lends me to take a there's-probably-more-to-the-story approach.

Barnes is a great guy off the court. Supports my wife's school and a research & service center at UT I helped start, so my perspective is skewed.

That said, his current success centers around a high-quality cohort of players, each of whom may benefit from each other more than anything else. It's a core of players that reminds me of Brey's best teams in terms of character.

We'll see what happens in upcoming seasons after this year's graduation & NBA draft. I'm not heavy into recruiting, but one of their incoming recruits is a family friend and plays at our HS. Another high-character kid. We'll see if the on-court success continues.

It may have been a perfect storm setting for Barnes to walk into or he may have figured out a way to tap into some regional talent that typically ended up elsewhere (UK, UL, Memphis, Vandy).

7 years not 10 years on Sweet 16. Brey went 11 years
by Raoul  (2019-02-11 20:35:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

between reaching sweet 16.

He made elite 8 in years 8 and 10 before being fired.

VCU was a big jump for any coach. Barnes was a well known very competent coach similar to a Mike Brey or a John Beilein. His success at Tennessee is unsurprising.

Shaka has been about as bad as can be at Texas in terms of performance on the court.

Brey was actually 12 yrs - '03 and then '15. *
by NJIrish04  (2019-02-12 09:38:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a Texas alum I agree
by TWO  (2019-02-11 20:33:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Barnes and Texas needed the divorce. I always liked Rick but he'd peaked and the program was in decline. I don't begrudge him the success he has found at Tennessee

What do you want to do with Smart? How many more years
by Raoul  (2019-02-11 20:36:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

should he get?

Tough question
by TWO  (2019-02-11 21:47:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Certainly welcome is wearing thin, but I do believe he'll be back next year and that will be the make or break year.

I think he's well liked and that helps him a little.

You are tough
by Drew  (2019-02-11 17:53:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shaka was the next great coach at the time (and there is still time for him to turn things). Getting him to Texas was a great accomplishment. The AD did everything right. Barnes was stale. I have followed him since George Mason. HE's been good but never close to being as successful as he is now.

Barnes's tenure had become stale at Texas
by garbageplate  (2019-02-11 15:34:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the change of scenery was great for him and probably necessary.

As for hiring Smart, that obviously hasn't worked out so far. They don't even seem to attempt running his old "havoc" style, which probably was more suited to succeed against Atlantic 10-caliber competition than Big 12 competition. Texas isn't a great job either, at least from the standpoint of fan support.

and ...
by tmr779  (2019-02-11 17:51:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the athletic director who did fire him was fired some time ago. Steve Patterson was AD at Texas for abt 22 months. I agree with your first sentence