Another ranking of grad transfers (link)
by Ajax (2020-03-24 16:06:48)

Saw last night: Patrick Tape to Duke
by Ajax  (2020-03-25 09:59:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bruner will also end up at a top tier program.

as long as we are only after a real big
by 84david  (2020-03-24 20:28:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there arent enough minutes for the guards on
the roster now.

Then there is the issue that the SRs may get another year.

I disagree
by Bmoreirish  (2020-03-26 08:45:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Brey realized late in the year that his offense is best in a four around one scenario. Laz can play with Durham because he is effective on the wing, but I would not be surprised to see us play a lot of four guard lineups. I think we really need another guard because that fourth guy is either oft-injured Carmody or Djogo. I think we desperately need another bench guard option. While I wouldn’t mind another experienced big to allow one of the freshman to redshirt, the bodies are there.

I think Durham only has 20 good minutes in him.
by 84david  (2020-03-26 09:02:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We need somebody reliable in the middle while he is out.

Next season we will see line ups for at least
by Ajax  (2020-03-26 13:48:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

10 minutes per game where Lasz is the only big on the floor.

Note to Lasz: start hitting the weights more than ever.

Best case scenario for Durham is 25-28 mpg.

I would be surprised if Lasz and Durham are on the court together for more than 15 minutes per game.

Those 10 minutes will be brutal
by JBrock18  (2020-03-27 09:25:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He cannot defend in there or score inside against legit PF or C. Hes also not really quick so the opposing big can go outside and guard him. Brey needs a transfer big badly.

I just don't believe there is a grad transfer
by Ajax  (2020-03-27 13:14:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they can realistically land that will be better as a bench option than Taylor.

Durham is not a great on the ball defender- his strength is coming from the weak side to block shots. IMO Lasz improved in areas this past season, low post defense and driving to the basket (he played stronger). We saw with Sarr, it did not matter who was on him- he abused everyone. In that case, a coach has to come up with a double team plan. Half the teams in the ACC will abuse ND inside and another half will likely be on a level playing field.

Let's be real, Brey will always revert to the philosophy of trying to open the floor on offense (I recall a game versus Duke where he had success with Burgett as the only big) and trying to win strictly with offense.

This is why
by BIG MAC  (2020-03-26 10:10:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hated to see Doherty transfer. We really could use a big, physical guy, whether to give a rest to our bigs, or play at the same time to give an assist to either Laz or Durham.

It's quite likely the coaching staff
by Ajax  (2020-03-26 11:07:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Believes the two incoming frosh can be just as effective as a reserve as Doherty, with Taylor as the presumed option.

Well
by BIG MAC  (2020-03-26 14:33:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Doherty always seemed like he had one foot out the door at ND. Don't think he was pushed out at all, and may have developed quite well. Maybe he never really wanted ND, but, hated to lose him, just the same.

Another site is saying Brey isn't really looking to take any
by btd  (2020-03-24 18:20:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

transfers or additional 2020 players. He's basically going to roll with the players we already have is what they are saying. Mild interest in the transfer portal is what they report -- and no sense of urgency to land a transfer at any position.

I hope to God they are wrong and/or Brey is just faking he's not interested as some kind or recruiting tactic -- not let other teams know he wants a specific transfer??

Who, specifically, is saying that? *
by El Kabong  (2020-03-25 09:33:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A post on a pay site - BGI guy that covers basketball
by btd  (2020-03-25 11:16:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully he's wrong.

Gotcha *
by El Kabong  (2020-03-25 11:26:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And NDHoopsRecruits is running with it, noting that he/they
by Georgia Hog  (2020-03-25 13:42:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are not aware of any transfers we are “in” on.

This is troubling, in fact it’s dumbfounding, if true.

It looks like biz as usual...Same old,same old,same old.... *
by Wolfetone  (2020-03-25 07:54:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Must be banking on the additional year waiver rule
by NDMike2001  (2020-03-25 04:07:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(Eye roll)

Roll with a bench of
by Ajax  (2020-03-24 22:36:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A guy coming off 2 shortened seasons due to injury.
A guy he does not trust and is just a practice player
Two 3 star frosh bigs
Walk on point guard

If Brey is satisfied with that bench going into next season he should resign now.

It will be hard for anyone on this board to defend that decision.

He's not going to land one of the better transfer bigs, so we need to realize he's going to play small with just one big at least 20 mpg.

With that in mind I would be intrigued by Rich Kelly for the 140-150 minutes per game available. It would be nice to have 3 scholarship players who can really handle the ball versus full court pressure and potentially drive to the basket.

The same post says they think one of the two FR forwards
by btd  (2020-03-25 11:19:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

will be ready to contribute immediately.

My general sense is the story has to be wrong and/or Brey is simply trying to convey strong confidence in his current players -- but he actually is still looking to add transfers (especially a forward). Maybe the guy just isn't reading the tea leaves correctly -- or Brey is not volunteering his master plan and wasn't asked a very specific question to force him to reveal more?

I refuse to believe Brey actually thinks he has everything he needs for next year and will not aggressively go after transfers.

IMO Brey realizes he will not be able to add
by Ajax  (2020-03-25 11:35:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

any size that will be more effective as back ups than what he already has (Taylor as an energy guy most believe will be more ready, while Zona either sits out the season or plays very limited minutes).

I still can't see ND bigs playing more 60 minutes per game: Durham/Lasz will likely be in the 25-28 mpg, so that could leave 8-10 mpg for Taylor.

With that in mind, going after another perimeter player (grad transfer or frosh) makes sense when you consider the 3 bench options (Carmody, Djogo, Morgan) for 20-21.

I still would like to see him pursue a traditional transfer- best player available.

Cormac Ryan *
by NDMike2001  (2020-03-25 12:21:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am already counting him
by Ajax  (2020-03-25 15:08:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Consider the perimeter spots are 120 mpg and then add on the fact Brey will play at least 20 mpg with 4 perimeter guys (Goodwin playing the "4" or Djogo).

Hubb/Ryan/Goodwin- 35 mpg (would be nice if it was more 32-33 so they are not worn down by the end of the season).

Let's say best case 100 mpg- you still have 40 mpg left. Sure can't count on Carmody/Djogo/Morgan for that.

That's why I am intrigued by this Rich Kelly being mentioned where you could see a line up with Ryan as a ball handling 3 like we saw with Vasturia and Rex. You could carve out 25 minutes per game for him which also do the unthinkable- resting other key guys.

As I noted, beyond the expected starting 5 you have a guy coming off season ending injuries in the last 2 seasons, a fill in guy Brey does not trust, 2-3 star bigs and a walk on PG.

For Brey to go into next season with just these 9 SS players would be lunacy and that's without even noting what a long term injury to the expected starters would mean.

At least it won't be Digger's end leaving no scholarships? *
by SavageDragon  (2020-03-24 19:26:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND not mentioned anywhere *
by SB Jimbo  (2020-03-24 16:44:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post