Les Hunter of Loyola Chicago has died ....
by EMK64 (2020-03-28 08:13:47)

one of my great memories at ND was bus trips to Chicago Stadium for college basketball doubleheaders. Saw Loyola, Bradley, Wichita St. and others Watching Loyola run the court is still some of the most exciting basketball I've ever seen.

Never saw Les play, but took a bus trip to Chi . . .
by Notra_Dahm  (2020-03-28 09:59:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to see a double header at the stadium in the early 70's, when I was just beginning to get into basketball. Loyola played Walton's UCLA team, and ND played the Illinois team with Nick Witherspoon on it. UCLA was so much better than Loyola that Walton (I assume) was told not to go down on the offensive side for much of the game. A Loyola player from Michigan City hit all five two pointers he took from distance (this is before the three point line), but not much else of note from that team.

Most of the ND team that would beat UCLA a year later was on the court, with Shumate back from his illness, and Clay and Brokaw also leading the team in scoring along with Gary Novak. But they lost a close, tough battle to the Illini.