Should college basketball adopt the college hockey rule...
by Slotts (2020-05-03 11:18:49)

regarding players being drafted. For those unfamiliar, hockey players can be drafted and still play college hockey. Would college basketball be better if they adopted the same rule?

I've always wondered why
by UpperEastSideIrish  (2020-05-04 19:52:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hiring an agent, getting drafted or anything other than getting paid should cost you eligibility. The goal is amateurism and I think that's a worth goal since we're dealing with students here. But, in my mind, you aren't a pro until you take money.

Now we're allowing kids to take money for their name and likeness, which just seems like a way to cheat for me. That being said, maybe we'll get EA Sports NCAA Football back now.

It would be an improvement.
by Kayo  (2020-05-03 12:16:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are differences between the NBA and the NHL that make it work for hockey - junior hockey and more draft rounds.

Most players spend a year or two in junior hockey between high school and college, so NHL teams have a better idea of who they are drafting in or before they play in college.

Hockey also has more draft rounds, seven in the NHL vs two in the NBA. Most of the college players who have been drafted are not high picks. The phenomenon of drafted players staying in school a few years makes sense in that context. Those cases really aren't much different from basketball players who might be pros at the end of their college careers having no shot at the NBA coming out of high school.

I prefer a variation on the baseball rule. Baseball players can be drafted out of high school. They can choose to sign pro contracts: but those who choose college can't be drafted again for three years. I'd love to see three years, but two years might make sense for college basketball.

I think all college sports should be like baseball / hockey
by btd  (2020-05-03 20:06:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Baseball is probably the most accurate model to emulate, but there is no logical reason why football and basketball are run differently than baseball and hockey - beyond NBA and NFL wanting college to be their missing minor league systems.

I think it should be every other year you can be drafted -- kind of like transferring in the "old" days where you sat out a year. I think kids should also be able to hire agents -- but not be paid by them or via any means outside the NCAA rules that are evolving.

The NBA has no interest in allowing high schoolers
by Ajax  (2020-05-03 14:42:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To enter the NBA draft because other than can't miss freaks like LeBron, the jump is too big to evaluate their impact. This is essentially the Kwame Brown rule. High school players who have a 5th year in prep school were the only exceptions- Simon's and the point guard who was supposed to ho to NC State. They much prefer this one year G League apprenticeship program.

To your point, a 2 year rule might be the pathway to the nba having an actual minor league system like baseball or hockey.

Yes
by El Kabong  (2020-05-03 11:44:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it would push the mercenaries out of CBB.