What pre-Brey buzzer-beaters do you guys remember?
by El Kabong (2020-05-05 20:24:49)

I listed Dwight Clay vs Marquette and Elmer Bennett vs Syracuse in the Big Win tourney.

What other ones come to mind?

Admore White vs. Providence, 1997
by 206er  (2020-05-07 07:38:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sent it in to OT where ND won.

Tracy Jackson vs Villanova?
by The Beef  (2020-05-06 20:30:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I remember, it was from half-court

At least 30 feet . . . 70-69 W in 1980 (more below) *
by KHADDAFI  (2020-05-07 10:57:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

David Graves beating #4 OSU in 1999
by akaRonMexico  (2020-05-06 12:39:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only remember it because I was sitting about 15 rows up from the basket when it went thru. Whole place goes silent except for a handful of ND fans...one of them being a guy I knew from Zahm who happened to be sitting about 10 rows in front of me. Best part was I took an ND friend to the game and the Zahm guy turned out to be his boss!

The Bennett one was mine too. Here it is at 1:26:08 (link)
by Raoul  (2020-05-05 23:33:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This one was great
by JC_90_94  (2020-05-06 14:51:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Syracuse failing to guard the inbound pass. . .the pass by Phonz and Bennett draining the shot followed by the drive-by "Irish Jig" handshake by Coach Phelps.

We stayed up until the early hours of the following morning to greet the team bus at the old circle. It was great - Digger got the crowd fired up and finished with "Beat DePaul". ND would go on to lose a couple of nights later to DePaul at the JACC on a last second tip-in.

A couple of weeks later ND - tournament hopes slim - hosted Missouri. Sports-reference.com confirms Mizzou was #3 but if memory serves me #1 and 2 had lost earlier in the week and Mizzou was effectively coming in as a #1. ND ran them off the court 98-67, picked up a win vs. Kentucky, but then lost to DePaul again - this one at the Horizon.

ND finished 16-12, DePaul was 18-14. The NCAA committee selected ND, and left DePaul out of the field. The Syracuse and Missouri wins were likely the key.

Love seeing the footage from that game . . . in the slow motion replay of Digger's celebration you can see Ann Hart behind the bench. Ann was ND's first female head manager of Men's Hoops. Not only did she do a great job, she was a great person and died far too young in 2003.

And a check in the amount of $1,000 will be donated to each
by Notra_Dahm  (2020-05-06 02:54:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

. . . college’s general scholarship fund, to further assist qualified non-scholarship students in all chosen academic fields.

The dorms emptied out to the dining hall right after. SDH
by otters92  (2020-05-06 00:17:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was electric.

Digger hopping to shake Boeheim’s hand does it for me. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2020-05-05 23:43:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember it like yesterday because Digger was so
by Raoul  (2020-05-05 23:50:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

effusive. I think Boeheim hated him for it.

It was a well designed and executed play.

Freaking Doc Rivers on my 21st birthday. *
by CJC  (2020-05-05 23:26:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I will never forget that. I was the only ND fan in
by Nitschke  (2020-05-06 14:43:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the neighborhood. All the other kids were MU fans. I remember the kid down the street called me five minutes after the game ended to rub it in. I hung up on him. My parents scolded me for being a poor sport. Even now, I think, “fuck him”.

Me, in the second round of bookstore in ‘95.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2020-05-05 22:47:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Faked a spin and then hit a step back 15 footer bank shot for the win behind the old bookstore. Vermin onlookers started chanting the ESPN Sportscenter jingle.

There is no video.

In the third round we ran into Paul Grasmanis and Jeremy Akers. They devastated us. I may still have scar tissue in my thigh from going baseline against Grasmanis.

Thankfully, there is also no video.

2003 versus Pitt was at the game
by Ajax  (2020-05-05 21:51:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with my step son. He was/is not a big sports guy- but even he found it exciting (almost as much as the half time refreshment stand).

Thomas to Francis- their only season together where both were healthy.

Never had an under 4:00 timeout in that game
by Kayo  (2020-05-06 07:29:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No fouls called in the last 4:00. No balls out of bounds to stop the clock. Just a couple of 30-second timeouts that weren't turned into full timeouts for media in thse days.

It was continuous basketball with no lead greater than 4 points from the media timeout with 7:21 left until the end of the game.

That was a seriously tough Pitt team - Jaron Brown, Brandin Knight, Carl Krauser, Ontario Lett, Julius Page, Chevon Troutman... a bunch of badasses. Clean players, but tough.

The Irish had their own tough guys - Dan Miller, Torrian Jones, Matt Carroll, and of course Tom Timmermans.

Tough, physical basketball without sacrificing the beauty of the game.

Addendum:

I wonder if Francis would have caught the ball and turned it into a shot so smoothly later in his career. He was not the same guy after his back injury. His movements were not as fluid, and he dropped a lot of passes and rebounds which are ways a serious back injury shows itself.

The minimal amount of stoppages
by Ajax  (2020-05-06 19:06:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Made the end of that game very exciting.

Thomas with a couple of bone headed plays early on in the video.

That open trey ND gave up in the zone was terrible. The trey in the MTM was not because of atrocious defense.

It would be easy to criticize the Pitt big man for giving up inside position to Francis, but he probably was expecting a shot to go up.

I still say the NCAA changed the spaces on the FT lane because of the way Troutman and Lett would just shove guys under the basket when Pitt was shooting FT's.

And wow- Mike Brey looked super skinny in 2003.

4:45 mark...is that Mike Brey or Jerry Seinfeld? *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2020-05-06 14:52:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great finish, but not pre-Brey *
by KHADDAFI  (2020-05-05 21:53:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry- here's one with everyones favorite coach
by Ajax  (2020-05-05 21:58:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

David Graves versus highly ranked OSU not longer after TDG ran them into the ground after losing an ex game.

I wonder if I annoyed EK more with that one, than the non pre-Brey recollection?

I also want to say that Toby Knight may have made a last second shot in an NCAAT game versus Maryland.

Remember listening to the Graves shot on radio *
by gordonbombay  (2020-05-05 22:53:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Toby Knight - Cincinnati '76 tourney, see below *
by KHADDAFI  (2020-05-05 22:07:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rivers hit one vs. Marquette early in his career
by ribs  (2020-05-05 21:13:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seem to recall Rivers hurt his ankle or something in the ensuing celebration.

Edit: Looks like it was ND-Marquette, January 1985 at the MECCA, Notre Dame won 63-62.

Graves hit one vs. Ohio State early in Doherty's season, right? Pre-season NIT?

Horrible. The Shot: (link)
by Nitschke  (2020-05-06 14:47:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wrong Rivers. I was referring to David.
by ribs  (2020-05-06 14:51:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But wow, I've never seen Doc's shot. That's brutal!

Yeah. The word “versus” should have clued me in. *
by Nitschke  (2020-05-07 08:47:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of my first great memories of ND BB. My Dad and
by DomerJon  (2020-05-06 10:38:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I were watching. I recall my Dad had given up after Marquette scored saying no way they can get it up the court in 6 seconds and get a good shot. Well, Rivers got the ball streaked up the court and layed it in with ease.

My experience was similar.
by ribs  (2020-05-06 13:22:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My Dad and I were at an OSCO drug store, in the electronics section. The game was on a TV, we stood there and watched it as it happened. I remember it vividly. Yet I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.

Orlando Woolridge - UVA OT win (Chicago) March 1981 ...
by KHADDAFI  (2020-05-05 20:33:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Toby Knight - tip-in v. CIncinnati in '76 NCAA tournament

Tracy Jackson - 30-foot bomb to beat Villanova at the ACC 1980.

A few nights later, Tracy hit a jumper with about 5 seconds left (not a buzzer beater, of course) to beat Maryland by a point.

In January '82, Pax hit a buzzer beater to send a game against Idaho (top 10 team at the time) into OT, which we won 50-48. That was a rare highlight from that lost season.

Went to the Idaho game: Paxson/Rowan had 39 of the 50 pts
by Ajax  (2020-05-05 23:21:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Two good wins that season Idaho and split a game with San Francisco. Quintin Dailey RIP.

I remember the Nova game well with TJ and the Maryland game was the snow in game. I looked up that game and ND won by 15.

At that game too. They (Idaho fan) giving potatoes away .
by LAW83  (2020-05-07 16:40:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It became my supper next before heading back to stacks until 11pm, then a gentleman’s club near the home I rented in SB. The memories !! Damn good potatoe !!

You've been hanging around with Dan Quayle, haven't you? *
by Notra_Dahm  (2020-05-08 16:33:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1980. MD snow game was 78 *
by Khaddafi  (2020-05-06 13:00:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Beat Nova by the same score (70-69) in 78 & 80 *
by Ajax  (2020-05-06 13:45:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's right . . . and lost by a point
by KHADDAFI  (2020-05-07 10:56:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

. . . to Nova at home during the 1981-82 season when we missed a layup at the buzzer on a full court throw-in and dish to a cutter. The play began with 3 seconds left. Digger was absolutely crushed by that final sequence (and the weight of an ever-worsening season) in the post-game locker room.