Any interest in Cole Bajema as a transfer? Brey type shooter (link)
by Raoul (2020-05-05 23:37:48)

Interesting note from the article
by Kayo  (2020-05-06 06:46:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A "wide range of schools" have already contacted DeBoer about Bajema. Expect that number to increase now that Bajema is officially on the market.

Maybe it's just poor writing, but the first sentence is saying schools contacted Bajema before he entered the portal. It makes me wonder how many coaches are spending their lockdown time tampering with other schools' players to foment transfers.

I know ND watches the portal every day. If the staff is interested, it made contact as soon as his name appeared; but a "wide range of schools" got a head start.

This is very common
by CrazyMary  (2020-05-06 11:16:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Basically just a semantics type deal. Usually the player's "people" whether a parent, relative, or former HS or AAU coach starts reaching out to programs en mass of potential interest making it known the kid is going to be transferring well before he actually makes it official/actually enters. This is easier than ever in the digital age. This even happens for major college kids looking to transfer down to the mid-major level. This allows kids to sort of explore what potential interest might be out there for them, talk about it with their family or confidants without formally entering and basically hitting the point-of-no-return/pissing off their current team if they end up wanting to return. The number of kids who are 99% transferring after a long, grueling season and end up staying at their respective school is a significant number.

I'd estimate that up to maybe 25% of kids already know which 1-2 schools they will likely attend the minute they officially submit to the portal. It's also why you see so many kids announce their new school within days of even officially entering the portal.

Isn't that an NCAA violation?
by SB Jimbo  (2020-05-06 11:47:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know someone who's good friends with the family of a kid currently attending a major D1 school on a basketball scholarship. The kid's thinking about transferring, and supposedly the parents have been talking with a couple of schools.

When he told me the story a red flag went up. Could be wrong, but I thought there could be no contact between the parties until a kid officially enters the portal.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just wondering if it's permissible.

Cam Newton's dad says hello *
by Ajax  (2020-05-06 13:47:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The NCAA can't limit who you or I call
by CrazyMary  (2020-05-06 13:01:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or reach out to in reality. We're dealing in technicalities here obviously. It's usually done through intermediaries at the very beginning.

So say my nephew is a D1 athlete exploring a potential transfer, I'm very friendly with you who I know is well-connected to several coaches. I might have you send a message that you know of someone looking around for options, might be of interest to your program etc. Then it goes from there.

There's also stories of high D1 coaches having sent texts to mid-major coaches asking them if they'd be interested/are going to have their player reach out etc before a kid officially puts his name into the portal.

Not a surprise he is transferring
by Ajax  (2020-05-06 00:24:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

IIRC a top 100 recruit.

He just seems like a duplication of JR and would be the same class as Sanders. Reputed to be a good shooter. Have to believe if Gonzaga has an open scholarship he might be heading there.

Have to believe for Brey it is Wesley and a big (either 2021 or a transfer).
I have a link for the only 2021 big they have been mentioned with.

Hopefully the Wesley recruitment does not parallel the eggs in one basket Will Shipley recruitment.

FWIW I see Pitt has a big man grad transfer, who was injured for last season. He scored 6 points versus ND in 2019.